OT ish Slow Windows

In message , Davey writes

Yes, but it was a very good price. I found a forum and asked, and it appears to be working "as designed". It did have old firmware, but I've updated to the current version.

That is a) the sort of typical response of a Linux user. "If you replace the basic system with this one written by someone even more unknown it will start to work". SWMBO regularly asks me "How come thick people seem to have no trouble installing and you are making such a fuss?". I have no answer. b) possibly very useful, thank you. Mine is a 2000T, and that seems to apply to a FoxT2, whatever that is.

I still wonder at the thought processes of a manufacturer who designs something with the red light for "off" and the same red light for "recording".

On Dave's original problem, I would have pointed him to msconfig and the start options as others have done, and suggested he then waits a month or two, then looks at updating to Windows 10.

Reply to
Bill

We were? OK, I wasn't paying that much attention.

They get even less choice than the average punter in Currys. I won't use Windows if I get a choice, but I did't get a choice at work, so I have a Windows 7 m/c.

Reply to
Huge

I don't know about this being typical of Linux users, but it works in this case. Humax seem to stop while developing their software just before they have made it really good. The Customised Firmware (CF) makes the world of difference to its abilities. The supplied software works as is, the CF makes it better.

I have sympathy for your long-suffering wife!

A FoxT2 probably has 'FoxT2' written on it somewhere. I would not be certain that it was the same as a 2000T, although it might be. The forum I referred you to would tell you. The CF is very product-specific, as each Humax is different.

The CF can fix that for you. It's no worse than using the 'Start' button to shut the computer down. Oh, that's a Windows idea, isn't it?

Reply to
Davey

I gave up reading all the posts half way through the "Linus" thread so someone else may have already said this.

I would suggest running ccleaner, particularly the "cleaner" and the "registry cleaner" options, and malwarebytes.

Both free, both reliable IMHO. The usual caveat applies when downloading to watch that you don't inadvertently click to download other stuff, and you don't agree to use Ask or to change your default search engine.

Reply to
newshound

My mind is going. I can feel it.

:-)

Reply to
newshound

I think that he said that he has used Ccleaner and it made a big difference. Up there somewhere with the Linux s**te.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

No they made it so poor they could sell support contracts to make money. ;-)

Reply to
dennis

Rubbish, Unix is a protected memory OS, android isn't, the CPUs it runs on can't even manage virtual memory in a meaningful way.

Some of it is but not the stuff that runs on phones.

Because its good unlike android and ios.

Most people use windows because they can use windows. They can't use linux on a desktop as the support isn't there for them to use it. Most people don't have a clue about computers and that doesn't mix with linux.

If the linux crowd ever actually wake up to that fact they might try and make a version of linux that most people can use but don't hold your breath.

Reply to
dennis

Can I suggest something else. One son is a techie, the other is a Luddite. The latter one complained of his laptop being really slow - and it was.

On dismantling it to fix something he'd broken, I found a solid lump of fluff/dirt across the fan vent. The CPU had been clocking itself down to avoid overheating. (he used to leave it running/charging on his bed)

Reply to
Bob Eager

What, the missing one?

Reply to
Bob Eager

OK, try this.

Your honeymoon period with your new machine is over. You've probably got a good idea what Windows application is useful, and what is not. Some of that is probably the advertising junk that was delivered with the machine. One of those almost certainly is something from Norton.

Investigate how to back up data from your machine. The best probably is something over the internet, google drive, one drive, dropbox etc. You can also make a full image copy to an external £30 hard drive, if truely paranoid.

You should then look at a clean W8 install using the recovery media supplied with the machine. Uninstall all of the pre-delivered junk. If that is hard, pay someone.

Then have it upgraded to Windows 10...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I found that later, and others have mentioned malwarebytes too.

Reply to
newshound

+1. Beautifully put.

(I have an Ubuntu dev box at work, and a Windows laptop for email. I'm mostly developing for Android [~= Linux] but sometimes it's something else. Or no OS at all...)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Doesn't look to me as if it would do much more than speed up the perception of a few GUI items. None of which I find at all slow.

It would also speed up a few error cases - which I don't get.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

This turns out not to be the case.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

It wasn't missing. Here it is again.

Reply to
Tim Streater

ITYM backup the data, download the win10 ISO, do fresh install using win8 key.

Reply to
dennis

I have two less than 12 month old lap tops to sort out next week for a highly paid person who works for the local council. He has a degree you know. He is basically as thick as pig shit, as is his highly paid bimbo wife and his two spoilt dumbo brats who do not know where the Romans came from. It's W8 and I've done it before for him, I'm still XP but okay with W7. Last time there was nearly 1000 bad things on their machines. Dumb Britain.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Look at the hoops in that. Clean it ain't.

Adrian Caspersz

No, the use it because it was on the computer they were sold

there is more support than there is for windows. unless you are a corporate customer there is NO support for windows

The first true statement in your post

and that doesn't mix with linux.

These days, it does.

Its called Linux Mint.