OT ish Slow Windows

Actually I did.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I remember the first ethernet I ordered and installed used ISO protocols, TCP was just a labs thing.

Reply to
dennis

new laptop ? windows 8, I think not.

Reply to
critcher

You've not heard about the Stagefright vulnerability?

If you have the right apps on your 'phone, and someone sends you a specially crafted message, you are pwned.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

No, they don't, obviously. But the point is you don't need to crash running programs (or the whole machine) just to get an update in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They are not te same issues in all OSes, that's why so what.

Dick.

You still keep dragging up 15 year

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Except that for no good reason they also prevent you from moving or renaming the file. No justification for that.

I expect you write the new file and delete the old one, then rename (or some sequence). The old file will not actually be deleted (as in, space freed) until the last program using it stops doing so, so there are no longer any open file handles on it. Not sure of the details but I think the delete also renames it to either a null file name of some flavour of illegal one so no new program can open the old one. This means that

20 progs could be using the old one for some time. If they are restarted they get the new library.
Reply to
Tim Streater

Reply to
Vir Campestris

nor do you with Windows. You can delay the restart until you are ready.

Reply to
charles

Neither does TNP or he would say how.

One way would be to send a kill to restart the process but that doesn't fit with never doing restarts.

Of course you could use the kernel thread locking to lock the kernel so no user programs are actually using it and then update the bits in the kernel which will work as long as no functional changes are made, just bug fixes. It won't work if the code is part of the lock handling though, so if you find a bug there you are stuffed.

Reply to
dennis

I expect he means X.25, but being dennis he probably thinks it was tiny goblins, a la Terry Pratchett.

Reply to
Huge

I know what x25 is, I designed the hardware and wrote the firmware for the x25 card used on System X before I designed the whole thing out in favour of a Unix system and networking a few years later..

It wasn't x25 and your lack of knowledge about the early days of networking is only matched by your current lack.

Reply to
dennis

Indeed, they don't.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No, there just isn't a file name at that point. Directory entry points to the inode. The inode describes the file.

When the file is replaced, the directory entry points to the new inode. The 'use count' in the old inode drops to zero (this is 'use' in the sense of the number of directory entries pointing to it, not now many users of the file there are).

When the *user count* of that inode drops to zero, then the file is deleted and the inode is freed.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In deed, in some cases MSOffice isn't compatible with other versions of MSOffice.

Reply to
J.B.Treadstone

Ah, sorry about that. It didn't occur to me to check but it seems win8.1 support isn't there yet.

I used it recently to good effect on a win7 laptop and I have a dim recollection from last year of it failing to run in a win8.x system (might even have been a win8.0 system at that time rather than win8.1).

I just had to shrug my shoulders and carry on with MBAM free and SpyBot S&D (along with whatever other cleanup tools I felt might help clean out the more obscure pests).

CrapCleaner is a pretty useful tool to help delouse the registry of orphaned entries left over by various 'uninstallers' as well as the kack left over from removed malware/adware/trojans along with various files hiding away in temp and cache folders.

CrapCleaner is well regarded. It's free and, IME (and that of most others), hasn't caused problems due to its registry cleanup activities.

Ignore the outrageous claims by alternative registry cleaning tools of

100 to 300 percent performance boosts. It's extremely rare that any such registry 'spring cleans' show any hint of a performance enhancement. The minute you see any such claims is the minute you give such products the wide berth they so richly deserve.
Reply to
Johnny B Good

You cant *install* the files while programs using them are still running.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

as I said: wait until you've finished using them.

Reply to
charles

so all work on your computer stops whilst you upgrade?

Meanwhile here's the latest on spyware. Windows 10

I occurs to me that the fashionable myth these days is the 'precautionary principle'. Don't do anyth8ing *in case it might* lead to something bad.

In the case of Windows, the precautionary principles says never ever install it at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

so, you even use your computer when you're asleep in bed?

Reply to
charles