OT ish Slow Windows

Apparently in 1988 and based on Windows code. Co-developed by both IBM and M$ and allegedly a cause of their big falling out. IBM having finally realised that already having given PC-DOS back to Gates to sell as he pleased as MSDos they'd also been financing his developement of Windows. Again to sell to the same clone makers/owners who were already running on MsDos.

michael adams

michael adams

Rubbish.

More of your lies

You really don't know much about open source software do you? I doubt if anyone actually thinks you know anything about open source or windows by now and I doubt if you know anything about linux.

You need to understand linux is a kernel it is not an OS and virtually anything that runs on it can run on another OS if you want it to. Its fundamental to open source that its not limited to linux if its written correctly and as the source is available even the incorrectly written stuff can be fixed if its worth the effort.

Reply to
dennis

They aren't needed as standard and do the same job on windows as on unix so it makes your very well a stupid statement as they obviously don't do it very well on unix as they do the same. I think you may find unix users disagree with you there.

Reply to
dennis

I think the issues with SH keys and heartbleed have put paid to the myth that security risks in linux are fixed quickly. At least one of them was a bug that was reintroduced into Ubuntu and lived there alive and well for nearly a year after it had been found, patched and reintroduced leaving the machines open to a known exploit.

You need to be aware that you are not invulnerable and need to be just as careful as anyone else.

Reply to
dennis

If they don't work on windows its because nobody wants them to..

busybox does,

nobody wants mate (on windows) afaik.

So?

Reply to
dennis

Indeed. And the have been a few attempts to replicate its niceness with some linux desktop managers IIRC.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Rather the reverse, no one on mate wants windows.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So now you are claiming linux replaces running libraries on the fly without terminating the program using it?

That's stupid..

if you don't terminate the process it will continue to use the old library complete with whatever exploit the fix was for until the machine crashes or is rebooted.

What else don't you understand about linux?

License fees.

Reply to
dennis

Much later.

You'd be one of a tiny handful that do.

Reply to
JHY

And, who can blame them? Mind you, I'm surprised they didn't make the NT version limit NT5.0 (aka windows 2000 professional). Perhaps they did but didn't bother upgrading every machine from NT4.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

How long can you run a Windows system without coming up against the operating system? It's better than it was with W8 but at the time Unix came out it was unavoidable. We had an early unix server in the office. It just sat in the corner and ran - just like the pabx.

Reply to
bert

In article , J.B.Treadstone writes

Indeed I did - sorry for the ambiguity. I'm downloading 32 bit Mate as I sit here typing on my W7 machine.

Reply to
bert

Depends on what you want to do with it.

And later than that with a Win system you could just plug your memory stick into the Win system and have it visible auto and wouldn't have been able to do that with the Unix system.

Reply to
JHY

Well that depends on what its doing.. it could be days, it could be months, it may be never.

Of course you can never come up against a linux OS as they don't exist. Linux is a kernel and people don't interact with the kernel, ever.

Reply to
dennis

In article , bert writes

First problem. The laptop doesn't have internal wi-fi so I was using a D-link notebook adapter DFWA-645. No drivers for linux s far as I can see.

Reply to
bert

A depressing number of IP cameras *require* IE and Active X controls to perform the setup and config of some of their functions. (once setup, reading data from them is usually platform agnostic)

Notice how he side stepped that one? ;-)

Yup your fault again.

Reply to
John Rumm

Depends on the type of server - when it comes to the web, there is not actually much between windows and linux at the moment - probably 10% in it.

Personally I don't care for any type of troll. I am content to use Linux, Windows, VMS, and any number of other OSes. Each have strengths and weaknesses, it just takes a bit of common sense to step back and look at the bigger picture to work out what fits the circumstances.

To argue one is always better than the other is childish. (rather like dribble arguing that combis are always better, and other prats arguing that stored DHW is always better)

Reply to
John Rumm

I find Pipelight helps :)

Adrian Caspersz

Right, I have the earlier version...

Dunno either, but for mail & news I use Turnpike ver 5.02 ancient I know but it works and does just what I need:).

Well if thats the case then you'll have to get something else then!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Its normally your fault for anyone that has a problem with linux either through not having linux compatible hardware or not knowing what software does a poor imitation of what you actually want. After all its open source so anyone can write a bit of code to do anything.

TNP is just a standard "linux does what I want so it must be right for you" dumbed down linux user.

Reply to
dennis