OT ish Slow Windows

Hi

New laptop is already starting to run slowly. Piggin Windows 8.

I used to have Norton 360 which had various function to do disc clean up, defrag etc.

Not sure if Norton 360 still has those functions? Don't like the price of it either.

Anyone recommend a download that will clean up & improve speed?

Reply to
David Lang

It's called changing to a Linux OS and ditching Windows for ever.

Reply to
Davey

Have a look at CCleaner and Smart Defrag 4.

That is the easier option than wading through the mysteries and band-aid fixes of windows "security" software.

But I guess the OP likes Windows. So what to download?

How long is a piece of string?

PC world have an instore check-up service. Given that it could be billable time that might be wasted, what they charge might be cheap.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I don't, it just comes with the machine. I have no idea what Linux is. Possibly a character from Peanuts?

Reply to
David Lang

Nah, Linus wasn't part of this.

Try:

I have both Win7 and Ubuntu on my PC. In my opinion, and I am not a Linux "Windows is the spawn of the Devil" fanatic (I can direct you to some of those sites, but you need asbestos underwear), Linux is far superior to Windows, and a darn sight less liable to be hacked and scammed by unscrupulous folks. I only use the Win7 when I want to run the one programme that I can't get to run on Ubuntu otherwise I would delete it to get the extra space. If you happen to have a Humax PVR, you already have a Linux machine.

Reply to
Davey

Thank you, but I didn't understand a word of that :-)

Reply to
David Lang

Thanks. I installed a free trial of CC Cleaner and its already made a huge difference.

Reply to
David Lang

Oh well, I tried. It's not that difficult, surely?

Reply to
Davey

Windows 10? :)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Linux is similar to other operating systems. Each does the job in hand. Each has users. Each has fanatics.

Think religion...

Reply to
Richard

The Natural Philosopher

It differs in one major respect however. It wasn't designed to make money out of you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As I said, think religion...

Reply to
Richard

and you think religion isn't all about power politics and money?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It has been my experience that half the problem is stuff which is started at start up and runs just in case its needed. Obviously one has to be careful about what one turns off but I seem to recall some web sites from reputable sources would tell you what all the running processes are for and which are resource eaters in some circumstances. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Ha ha ha ha ha etc etc.

Sorry Dave, shouldn't laugh, but you and others like you seem to waste unbelievable amounts of time (and therefore money) "fixing" Windows when you could just buy a Mac and never look back.

I think my sig is particularly apt today.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It is for the average user, many of whom struggle with windows.

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , Davey writes

And I bought a Humax PVR in a local PCWorld closing down sale.

What an amazing design.

It has the same red LED for OFF and for Recording, so there is no way of knowing what it is doing.

When you power it up, or when it starts recording, the TV picture goes into blocks, the sound breaks up, then it comes back, then the picture goes again. Finally after about a minute, it all stabilises. The old Sony fires up seamlessly in about 6 seconds.

I know there are workarounds, but I certainly would not advocate this as a representative Linux device.

While I was typing this, I had a call from Peter from Microsoft offering to help me with the problems with my computer. You don't get that sort of help from Linux :-) :-)

Reply to
Bill

Forget the religion then. Think zealots...

Reply to
Richard