OT ish Kids!

Granddaughter (10) has a stunt scooter. Part of the fun seems to be 'customising' it - mainly wheel changes.

Gramps house is the ideal place to do so, having easy access to tools.

The granddaughter is often heard saying "can I borrow a 6mm allen key & a 13mm socket"?

I view this as a good thing, learning about such stuff at an early age.

I was very impressed though, with how she remembers which way to turn things....

"Righty tighty, lefty loosey".

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Granddaughter (10) has a stunt scooter. Part of the fun seems to be 'customising' it - mainly wheel changes.

Gramps house is the ideal place to do so, having easy access to tools.

The granddaughter is often heard saying "can I borrow a 6mm allen key & a 13mm socket"?

I view this as a good thing, learning about such stuff at an early age.

I was very impressed though, with how she remembers which way to turn things....

"Righty tighty, lefty loosey".

:-)

Not on left hand threads.

Get her into an apprenticeship A.S.A.P

Reply to
Nthkentman

In article , The Medway Handyman scribeth thus

Aww ... sweet;)....

When she gets onto the 'lectrics remember its the red wires for the redcurrents and the black wires for the blackcurrents and the green wire is measured buy the Green gauges;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

On the HIF carb - righty richy, lefty leany.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Expect not that sort of scooter...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

That works fine until you find that on some boat riggings there are threads of both hands to help tighten them up with a single device.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Of course you have to be viewing it the correct way in the first place and even then - say you have the allen key in the bolt and the long leg of the key is between 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock, then you're turning it to the left to tighten, and won't be turning it to the right until the end is past the 9 o'clock point...

So that only applies to the top-half of the thing your turning - allen key, tap, jar lid, etc.

It's all bonkers, but as a left handed dyslexic these are the sorts of things that really confused me when I was younger - "muscle memory" kicks in now for the most part, but occasionally I still have to think.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

sister does this as well

obviously learnt if off some "woman's" program

tim

Reply to
tim.....

What about imperial sizes as well?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

IME the concept of clockwise and anti clockwise is lost on most women, regardless of age.

Reply to
stuart noble

On Tuesday 02 July 2013 11:31 stuart noble wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And thermostats...

Reply to
Tim Watts

:-))

Reply to
David

Lost on many of the younger generation of any gender. Some have trouble telling the time from a clock with hands, let alone know which direction the hands go...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You may laugh, but I really struggled as a child to get my head around clock hands and time. I think I was about 10 before I got the hang of it. Seems really stupid looking back on it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

How long before you hear

"Sod it! Pass me the f***ing hammer! Not that one the big f**k off one!"

:-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Have you seen teh Dave Allen sketch where he explains to his imaginatry grandson how to tell the time... brillant.

IIRC When the big hand is on the ONE it means 5 past.... on the TWO 10 past...

and on Three it's 1/4 past ...... FOUR 20 past.... FIVE 25 past SIX 1/2 Past...

Reply to
whisky-dave

Sounds more like political parties to me...

Reply to
whisky-dave

Or pass me the bastard file, no not that one the f*****g big one over there.

Reply to
F Murtz

Perhaps this would help:

:-)

Reply to
polygonum

I wonder what percentage of us got that?

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW