OT ish incandescent bulb ban

When did the IEE become a political organisation, never mind form the Govt?!...

Reply to
Jerry

Ah, refutation by assertion.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Scream like shit when in need of a tit, and you know what it wants when its crapped in its pants.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It cries because it's 'in distress', the baby doesn't care who cleans it, feeds it or gives it warmth just as long as someone does. But yes, your analogy is some-what correct, the self same people who rant on about Govt intervention and not needing a 'nanny' are the same people who rant on about what the Govt isn't doing for them...

Reply to
Jerry

What's the IEE? :-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

In my experience, as one of them, they rant about what the government

*is* doing to them that they really neither want nor need.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Institute of Electrical Engineers, I think.

A trade body that tends to try and agree standards.

Like the IETF.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IOW, "I'm alright Jack, f*ck you!" When you don't need a 'nanny' someone else does, when you need a 'nanny' someone else doesn't...

Reply to
Jerry

Jerry coughed up some electrons that declared:

I think we should just divide the country in two:

Nannyville: Everything is sorted for you, you get a government house, government job, state school (no private schools) and you need to employ a registered contractor to fill your car's windscreen washer fluid (who will also report a worn tyre or out of date tax disc while you're not looking);

WildwestVille: Early referendum on what basic state services to provide from taxes, other than that everyone looks after themselves. Guns are allowed.

Migration is permitted, but only after signing a declaration that you will fit in with the style of society on the other side.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

needing nanny is one thing: having one rammed down you throat is another.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Europe N of Frankfurt fits that model.

Ah, it sorts itself out.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
[snip]

???????

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Let's see. I can light one room with one 100w incandescent filament lamp. If I go to halogen downlighters, it takes over double that. Yes, the bulbs are more efficient, but the way they're used means the whole lighting system is vastly less efficient.

Now... guess what the tree huggers want to ban? Yep... the more efficient solution.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The idea that britain has high levels of poverty is pure fantasy. Poverty means being unable to pay for the necessities in life, which include: roof over one's head food water adequate warmth medical care child education

There are people unable to access all these things here, but very few. For the most part when people talk of poverty they mean people who cant afford the level of luxury most of us have become used to. Inability to heat one's whole house to 20C has little to do with poverty.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I light a whole room with 2 x 18w CFLs in a double socket. Gives a helluva lot more light than a 100w swanedison

Reply to
Alang

Yes, but...that is a "never mind the quality, feel the width" kind of argument. CFLs *do* give more lumens per watt than incandescent, but there are a lot of potential downsides to CFLs - CRI, UV, Hg, physical size (ran out of abbreviations), operation in low temperature environments, operation in high temperature environments and dimmability (being addressed to some extent). In a lot of environments they don't matter, but sometimes they *do*. My view is that both CFLs and incandescents have a place in good lighting design - it's not a case of either one or the other. Any dichotomies people claim do not exist.

Cheers,

Sid

Reply to
unopened

Following up to The Natural Philosopher

the new bulbs save energy, depending on the devil in the detail that may be offset by wasteful production of replacement fittings. Anybody who dismisses everything as ecobollocks or agrees with everything green automatically isnt dealing with the real world.

Following up to The Natural Philosopher

why do you think this will take less non productive legislators than getting rid of inefficient lightbulbs?

Following up to Jerry

all of them, low taxes will always help you win, so any politician loves a chance to announce a tax cut.

Following up to The Natural Philosopher

yes.

tell that to a poor person dependant on electric heating, "you will freeze because we dont like legislation"

for the lightbulbs? Few.

The market isnt all, legislation and education have thier place, deciding how to deal with things along fixed ideological lines is not going to give the best answers.