OT ish incandescent bulb ban

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 15:20:32 +0000 someone who may be Frank Erskine wrote this:-

I take it you are in favour of other things to do with electricity being of no concern to government too? A standardised range of voltages and a common set of plugs and sockets [1] for example?

[1] in domestic buildings and industrial/commercial buildings where suitable.
Reply to
David Hansen

Again, choice of plugs and sockets is of no concern whatsoever to the government. Do you enjoy having your life regulated for you by parliament?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Probably filament bulbs will continue to be made outside the EU, eg. Kazakstan, and could be legally bought on the internet.

sparky2

Following up to David Hansen

total lack of logic. If the government allowed the sale and purchase of 12v lamps with no warning they would be discontinued and then they suddenly banned them at pretty short notice making a lot of expensive lighting equipment unusable that would be unreasonable and a very good case for complaints. It seems they havent as no doubt they saw it would be unreasonable, unlike you.

Following up to Frank Erskine

generally yes. Forcing driving on the left for instance.

apples and pears.

BY yOIR argument buyng electricity at 270 volts is pure 'caveat emptor;'

You cant have it both ways.

The point is, its a silly way to reduce energy use.

Pure ecobollox. If you want to reduce energy use, raise energy prices. Not the prices or availability of bulbs, which may never get used more than 20 minutes a year.

Its the same bollox that means I have to pay the govt 200 quid a year to have a small freelander on the road. Not to actually start the engine.

Or the same bollox tha means I get brownie points for not using supermarket plastic bags, when 10 times the amount of plastic is in the packages on sale that I put in them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Following up to Mike Clarke

the reasonable approach usually taken by government is to phase things out, with new appliances using the new desirable product and supplies left in place for the dwindling users of the old, like leaded petrol. It would be perfectly reasonable to stop appliances being sold after x date for the old fittings but a sudden bad on spares is not.

The problem is not only would they have to meet the correct energy rating but be a direct replacement for the many millions of applications such bulbs are used for already - unless there are going to be great swaths of exemptions, which then allows enterprising people to find work arounds. It sounds like the talk of 2016 is more about keeping the fanatical tree huggers happy than any realistic time scale.

Reply to
Jerry

Err but you would need to import them, and if importation was banned all you will have done is waste your money - just like those who buy Crocodile handbags, and the like, abroad only to have them confiscated by Customs & Excise on their importation...

Reply to
Jerry

Suggest you contact your friendly local drug dealer. They seem to be able to import 'product' through customs OK. I'm sure if there's money to be made out of a new line, they'll be happy to oblige. :-)

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:57:51 +0000 someone who may be M wrote this:-

Yawn, a personal attack and a distortion of what someone else typed. Generally the resort of those with no better arguments.

As anyone who bothers to read the thread can see I didn't advocate "suddenly banning" them.

Reply to
David Hansen

Greenpiss logic.

Reply to
Bob Eager

What Mr Hansen means is that it's entirely your fault for not being a good little self-satisfied tree hugger like him.

Reply to
Bob Eager

What a sad individual you must be.

OK - fine where it concerns others. My choice of plugs and sockets is of no concern to anybody else. Nor is my choice of lightbulbs. Or daffodil bulbs. Or breakfast cereal...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Sorry, but I read that as:- "to have a small reindeer on the road."

YAFCAICMFUKP...

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

-------------------8><

Breakfast cereal? You bastard!

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

Bearing in mind how some of their existing merchandise is brought in it gives a whole new meaning to the thought of an Edison screw.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Following up to David Hansen

nobody said you did. you did say that there could be no cause for complaint because the government didnt force us to use them, which is ridiculous, nobody said you suggested "suddenly banning them". You also quoted "let the buyer beware" as a justification, as was pointed out by others, its not possible for the consumer to apply that principal to unforeseeable legislation and the term relates to the relationship between buyer and seller, which is irrelevant here.

Following up to Bob Eager

ahhh, I think I get it. Logic has to be adapted to show the green version is right in all aspects. Ive come across this before with autophobes.

Following up to Frank Erskine

nope

Yes it is. When I buy a house or visit a building I want the sockets to conform to the standards of my existing equipment. Its more efficient and just plain convenient.

we have to take on board saving energy, so we need standards

only in preventing disease or excluding pest species

are there any beyond advice and health & safety standards