[OT-ish] HDD formatting "good practice"

That's always been the feature of RISC OS machines with the OS in ROM.

Reply to
John Cartmell

An even better solution is to more than one HD.

I've found a lot of DAT drives to be very unreliable.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Agreed. Sometimes it works often not. The problem with windows networking is it's all a big kludge. If they stop trying to maintain backwards compatibility it might be better.

What are you using (Samba)?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Are you suggesting five? That's what I'd need in order to avoid partitioning.

I'm on my third DAT drive (no problems, just two voluntary upgrades for increased capacity) and I've not had any problems. What would you recommend instead?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Xilinx is a company, I doubt it's employees would take kindly to being squeezed onto a hard disk.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

My 2 1/2 year old pc has a 250gb drive and i created 3 partitions. Personally i still think it makes sense to seperate the os and apps from data but Windows will fight your attempts to do it.

Having data on a seperate drive makes back ups easier and means it is possible to create an image of your OS and apps for reinstallation if necessary. Saying that i've not made a backup image for ages.

The third partition was for video recorded off the DTT card - i wanted to keep that seperate so that i didn't run out of useful space and get to the point where the PC wouldnt function.

If you get partition sizes wrong you can always use partition magic to mess with them later.

Reply to
b33k34

True - but it would be fun to try :) Serve them right for producing such lumpy software ;->

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Don't you just love the way the word Xilinx can make an engineer go "arrrgggggghhh".... such marketing promise, and such pain in reality most of the time! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Heh. Never mind you engineers, at least you think you want their product ;->

It's us systems folk who cry like virgins faced with the tentacle-monster that this beast is.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

You are mistaken. It does happen. I have had it happen to one of my backups.

As long as the data is of low value its fine.

Reply to
dennis

Interesting.

My comment was in response to yours:

"Murphy says that the software will crash during the backup and that both the original and the backup will be lost if you only have one."

What software *was* that, AAMOI?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

And, of course, if the data is corrupted (or infected) but there isn't a system crash, it might not be noticed for months but have been incorporated into the backups.

For domestic use, periodic incremental backups over broadband should be feasible, in fact some sites offer this commercially.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Anything produced by Microsoft.

Huge

If you backup to DVD-R (not RW) then there is no temptation to overwrite old backups. And a pennies a disk it hardly costs anything either.

Reply to
John Rumm

No? I am suggesting using more than one disk and not bother partitioning them. However, if you really want to, I won't stop you ;-)

Unfortunately I've never found a backup solution I am 100% happy with. If you have had success with DAT drives then stick with them - maybe I've just been unlucky.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark

It was unix and a tar archive. I never did find out what happened as it was unattended at the time.

Reply to
dennis