OT-ish - drain blockages, neighbours etc

I'm not totally clear what you're asking or stating but, AIUI, after 2011:

You will be responsible for the connection from your house to the first (shared) manhole.

The water company will be responsible for everything else on your property which goes in or out of that manhole - including those parts of your neighbours' connections which are under your land *and* for the pipe which goes under your house on its way towards the main sewer.

Is that your interpretation?

Reply to
Roger Mills

not quite as i see it under a Section 24 property, where two of more drains connect to a sewer you are only liable for your own drains, up-to were it leaves your property or connects to a sewer, Section 24 sewers are classed as Public sewers.  (which is why i said you need to be clear about the definition between drain and sewer) the same arrangement in a row of houses built after 1939 the sewers would be classed as Private, until they hit the Public sewer which could be anywhere, not necessarily in the road outside the houses, the cost of cleaning or repair would have to be met by everyone connected to that Private sewer.    under the porpoised new regs the water authority will now adopt all private sewers and lateral's.

Reply to
Mark

Excuse me for perhaps butting in here but I have a related question. In 1957 I bought 2 cottages which were built in 1822. I lived in one and rented out the other.The drains led to a shared manhole beyond the property line The combined drain then dropped down inside a 10 ft retainining wall for the main road to the public sewer. When the tenant moved (approx 1961) I converted the properties to 1 house. Late 60's we had a broken drain in the wall, which had subsided owing to the increased traffic. The drain was repaired free of charge by the council who at that time provided sewerage services. Although we have not had any further problems I have often wondered just what the position would be now, as it could be a very substantial cost to do a similar repair.

TiA Pepper

Reply to
Pepper