OT-ish DIY-friendly cars

Do remember that Which? reports are based on their members' views. When colout tv started they quite liked a Fergusson 19" model, but slated an HMV

19" as very unreliable. Yet, the only difference was the cabinet. Some years later, I came across the documentation behind the report. There were on 2 HMVs reported on and one developed a fault. (as mine did, but it was a dry joint off the main board which I resoldered)
Reply to
charles

That was pretty heroic John - it's easy to underestimate even a gentle breeze until you have a large sheet of something in your hands! I'd have probably wimped out and gone to B&Q warehouse to get them all cut down to width, so I could slide them inside the car. Not that it would save a job, as they're not exactly precise at measuring so each would need to be adjusted subsequently.

I made a carrier for 8x4 sheets out of the cheap studding timber the sheds all carry, to go on my roof bars and that works fairly well but you can feel the steering getting light as it lifts the car. Not the end of the world to just go a mile or two at city speeds, but a bit dodgy for any distance. Maybe with 9 sheets, the weight counteracts the lift a bit!

Reply to
GMM

I made one from two front-to-back runners and spaced-out pieces of MDF so it's slightly wider and slightly longer than an 8x4. Used to carry plasterboard and OSB, it has a "nose" at the front to dissuade anything slipping forwards, uses T-bolts and plastic knobs to mount to the roofbars, yes you keep the speed down a bit, the most annoying thing is the harmonic vibrations that come from the ratchet straps at varying speeds ... sounds a bit like a doodle-bug.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Standard Lucas wiring from the '50s had two fuses. One for ignition controlled accessories, one for non ignition controlled accessories.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1 Skoda Roomster. The rear seats come out very easily.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

This is already a problem for older cars. Most garages have a diagnostic machine and pay for regular updates. On older diagnostic readers, every update just deletes the cars that were stored more than 10 years ago.

Reply to
Andrew

But cars made in the 50's only lasted about 5 years before they rusted away. Back then car dealers used to travel over to Norfolk to get second hand cars because it's much drier there and you could get non-rusty second hand cars, that just had smoky engines. The latter is easier to bodge for resale.

Reply to
Andrew

If the PS is now electric (is on many new cars) then the dealer can alter the amount of assistance using GM's tech2 diagnostic kit.

Man across the road bought a 2003 Ford ka a few months ago. When the alternator failed the only way to get it out was the cut away part of the metal from the offside inner wing. That cost £130 just for the part .... Then it failed its MOT (too much rust). Scrappy gave him £70 for the whole car.

Reply to
Andrew

ITYM "the only way he could see to get it out". You can bet that a dealer would not have been taking a grinder to the inner wing to change an alternator.

Two second google says "Remove the inlet manifold".

Reply to
Adrian

I don't believe that for one minute.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For a moment I thought Skoda Estelle. Scary vehicles, so unstable.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It was expected to be unreliable based on design & age, yet fared very well indeed. So its reliability was unpredictable. Surely you can follow that.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

This thing had the 2 fuse holder with 32mm fuses in, but it wasnt connected to anything. It was slapdash in several respects, yet fared very well.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Well, that's bad enough, wouldn't you say?

Reply to
Tim Streater

An alternator isn't a service item like say an oil filter. There are at least some cars where changing the cambelt involves lots of silly dismantling. And that is a service item.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's quite a few cars where changing the plugs requires removal of the inlet manifold. It's only a few bolts, after all. Just a tad different to taking an angle grinder to the structure of the vehicle.

Reply to
Adrian

Well, I might allow that. I'm just cheesed off that to change a headlamp blub requires a garage visit. Mumble mumble.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I'm sure I'd manage to change it without taking it to a garage. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Tim - I don't know why, but your posts aren't reaching me (on aioe.org). You're definitely not in my KF...

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Another John writes

Same with my Peugeot boxer motorhome