OT-ish DIY-friendly cars

It's getting to be time for a new motor. What I'd really like is something with the performance of a Farrari, the fuel economy of a moped and the load space of a Transit. And if they pay me to take it off their hands, that would be nice too.

Just in case I don't come across one of these models, does anyone have any sensible suggestions for a practical car that can accommodate DIY needs?

Most of my driving is in the city but there are enough 150-mile-plus motorway trips to be a factor. I was thinking vaguely of a Jag XJ, until I saw someone trying (and failing) to get an 8-foot timber into one in a car park. I can squeeze 3m into my current Avensis. Now I'm wondering if a 5-series estate would be a good plan.

Previous cars were a Renault Scenic (great engine and internal design, as the seats come out in seconds to make a van; poor construction that shook itself apart in no time) and Honda CRV (good driving position, not as much space as you'd expect, very poor fuel comsumption).

Reply to
GMM

Presumably Thule et al make roof bars for Jags?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Get a Transit. Car drivers are poofs.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You can apparently get an upright piano into the back of a London Taxi, and they run on used chip oil quite happily.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I would not be surprised to see a heavy extra charge for using diesels in London in the next year or two (and other cities too).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Not in the next year or two - the ULEZ is likely to come in in 2020. The consultation period's already closed.

Adrian

A Mercedes E class estate copes with most of my requirements, although I did need a pair of roof bars to carry some 3m x 1m steel roofing sheets recently. Depending upon the engine you choose, 0-62 in 8.8 to 4.2 seconds, with combined fuel consumption from 60.1 mpg to 28.3 mpg respectively.

Reply to
Nightjar

I suspect it may be a case of "pick any two" of those requirements.

A grey imported Subaru Legacy GT-B twin turbo fits some of the requirements rather well I found - large estate with plenty of load capacity and roof rails for decent roof bars etc. Four wheel drive and best part of 300 bhp to play with without looking like a boy racer machine. Only you won't like the fuel economy!

A mate has a Toyota Previa - again massive load capacity and practicality.

Reply to
John Rumm

The old London Taxis already fail the PCO requirements for emissions for licencing a vehicle as a taxi, which is why there are lots available very cheaply.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Nocturnal and heterosexual activities in the car park suggests that statement is at least partially erroneous.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Lots of cars fit some of those requirements. If you want to be a bit strange, how about a Honda N-box.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Go the whole hog and get a Nissan Cube (that thing with asymmetric windows).

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sounds like you need a Skoda! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes though I don't think the mattress in the back is one of the conventional options. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

but, I am told, that was the great attraction of the original Mini van.

Reply to
charles

Isn't it simpler just to have a CD player though?

Reply to
GMM

Certainly the wind is blowing against diesels and, compounding that, petrol engines seem to have developed enormously in the past few years. So diesels would seem a bad buy in the long term, although there are some good lease deals.

Reply to
GMM

Kinda saw that one coming Bill! Not sure the wife would appreciate a few hours on the motorway in a transit though.

Reply to
GMM

Avoid anything French. You need special tools left right and centre. Changing light bulbs on one model of a Renault Clio means dismantling the front of the car. Neighbours Megane people carrier suddenly blacked out its entire instrument panel - £400.

The only French car I would have considered in earlier years would have been a peugeot 405 or 406. They seem to resist rust better than a dagenham dustbin.

Korean made cars are impressively well protected against road salt. All the bolts and fixings seem to be cadmium plated.

Reply to
Andrew

An Octavia RS Estate might fit the bill quite well... and embarrass a few more expensive performance cars into the bargain (they do a 220bhp, sub 7 second 0-60 version)

Reply to
John Rumm