OT ish; Chromebook & MS Word

Thinking of buying a Chromebook for word processing & surfing the interweb.

If I have a Word document on my PC, transfer it to a memory USB stick thingy & plug that into a Chromebook - will it be able to read it & can I edit it?

Droid at PC World reckoned no - I'd have to download a program to convert it. Google search says different.

Anyone got one & can tell me?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Google says yes

In my experience with cross platform conversions for simple documents (1 page letters with little except paragraph formatting) you will be fine.

Once you are into complicated multi-page/multi chapter layouts with paragraph numbering, footnotes, endnotes chapters etc, the format will almost certainly be screwed up.

Reply to
news

Yes, the google docs word processor will open word docs. If you have a google account, go to drive.google.com and upload a doc to it, you should then be able to edit it inside your web browser. That will work on any platform that can run a modern ish web browser.

I would concur with google on this one ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Well word can do that all by itself ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes text boxes shaded borders graphics etc. You might find however that a recent version of Word can work in one of the more open formats used by the operating system and software on the chrome device. Its very similar to the way the Open Office and Libra Office suites can handle Microsoft and the other way around but they usually warn you about things that might not be the same etc. I only know seciond hand mind you, as some people I know have them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

openoffice.org

Reply to
snot

On a Chromebook?

There is also an online version of MS office, which I prefer to Google Docs.

Reply to
Chris French

+1
Reply to
newshound

According to you can use web based versions of Office applications on Chromebooks.

"Install Office Online in Chrome Office Online apps are (mostly) free to use but do require a valid Windows Live Account before they can be accessed."

Haven't tried this myself.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to