OT-ish B&Q automated checkout

No. And I'm not sure I'd like to get stuck behind you. ;-)

Only way I could see would be not to place every item on the 'output' shelf.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't look at how many items are on the belt, I try to ascertain the stupidity level of the people in the queue.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Druckers is a chain of "pattisseries" ... tries to convey a more upmarket vibe ;)

Well given a fight between a multi store chain, and a local independent, where would *your* money be ? Especially as there's a Costa, Cafe Nero, Esquires, Muffin Break, and a coffee house whose name I can't recall within 50 m.

I wouldn't call Greggs a bakers - they are a pie and pasty shop with an extremely limited range of unfilled baguettes and rolls.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I agree with the principle. But sometimes you really can't judge a nutter by the headgear ;)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

And sometimes assess who you'd rather stand behind on other grounds.

Reply to
polygonum

Perhaps your phone has an app for that?

Reply to
stuart noble

On 15/04/2013 15:31, Jethro_uk wrote: ....

I go for the checkout operators I know to be efficient.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Depends on the product and price. If Druckers are charing £2.50 for a choccy eclair and Rachel does a lurid pink jumbo cupcake with glitter for £3.50, Rachels will probably appeal to the teenage girl and charlady market.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Oh I don't mind the talking but it's the timing of the talking that gest me:

"Doors Closing" 1 ms later doors shut.

If you are going to issue a warning at least issue it at the right fing time... Have the warning finish then the doors start to move.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I would not necessarily bet against the independent, but the independent would have to have a good USP, plenty of experience of business and, probably, not be in catering.

That is rather my point. It is what we have now. When they arrived, they offered a wide range of cakes, morning goods and bread, all of which disappeared from their shelves after the bakers closed down.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Perhaps Brian might have a different perspective on this?

9 times out of 10 the fastest seem to be either Chinese or Indian. Avoid fat ones, old ones, blokes, schoolgirl types, the disabled. Avoid queues with mothers with kids, oaps, fat people, alcoholics.

I dread ever visiting Sainsbury's, besides the rank veg (mainly mushrooms and broccoli) they are always understaffed and sometimes with fewer checkouts staffed than Lidl. Asda are light years ahead with the till staffing and somehow understand that a customer quickly and efficiently processed through the checkout will make the shop and the carpark less crowded.

Fortunately I don't shop at any supermarket on a regular basis

Reply to
The Other Mike

Not as bad as price per Kg against price per litre.

Reply to
mcp

Not many of either around here and what there are seem either to be running their own shops or restaurants.

You've just ruled out all the operators in one supermarket I use.

and, by including those, at least one other.

You won't be behind me then.

I use several, as none stocks everything I like.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The greatest lack of comparative pricing is with fresh fruit and veg. The pre-packs are generally priced per package, no weight specified, whilst the loose ones are priced per kg. Usually (but, crucially, not always) the pre-packs are significantly more expensive.

Back when Sainsbury's used to have scales that allowed you to print a price label for bags of loose items, you could put a pre-pack on to get a comparison, which was instructive.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Our JS has label printing scales. I use them. The fact that labels get wasted is annoying.

I also have a pocket electronic "spring balance".

Reply to
polygonum

JS here has a huge store. If the staffed till at this end has a queue, the one at the other end might not have. But it is so far away, it is perfectly possible for several other people to join it as you walk along the row of checkouts. Wish they would open adjacent, or near adjacent, checkouts.

JS cause much annoyance by have a till open for people who use their self-scan, sitting there doing absolutely nothing, while there are queues at every other till.

JS also manage to be the absolute worst offenders in the "till conveyor divider" stakes. Many tills only having one. Which you can't reach because other people are in the way and no-one thinks to pass one back to you. Most of them don't have enough. Again, Lidl is at the top of the pile - enough to fill the channel they slide in on every till. (A few sometimes get knocked into the special offers by the till, but even then there are more than anywhere else.)

JS manages the poorest range of apples. Often hardly any available despite the best part of a greengrocery aisle dedicated to them. Agree their veg is nothing special.

Asda do also actively help people to get to the best till - a bit US-style and somewhat patronising - but it is better than JS.

Not surprisingly, JS have gone from being our main supermarket to somewhere we get a few things only they sell. Ironically almost entirely since they opened their huge new store.

Reply to
polygonum

I am surprised that people ever have to buy fruit and veg in a supermarket. I have a choice of three greengrocers, a fourth who turns up at three different local markets and a farm shop that, perversely, usually offers the best value for money. The last also has the entertainment value of a small dog that likes to eat raw potatoes.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

We have a market some days - but they simply sell what they can get from their wholesalers. Often doesn't seem any better, or cheaper, than supermarkets and a pain to get to.

We have a farm shop which seems to have nothing to do with any farm. Not worth going out of our way to and often a poor range.

We also have some farm shops and a farmers market - all miles away - and not worth going to given things like cost of fuel. And once a month is not frequent enough for veg!

Reply to
polygonum

Varies, prepack apples probably won't have a weight but will have a size range and a quantity, most people buy apples by the size and number rather than weight. Prepack Green beans, carrots, parsnip etc etc are weight marked.

I think there is a legal requirement for there to be scales available for use where ever there is anything loose sold by weight. Might not be a label printing device and there may only be one which you have to hunt for. Try looking in the fruit and veg section where everything is pre-packed and as far from any loose stuff as possible.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice