OT-ish B&Q automated checkout

try a cash and carry and buy a crate ;-)

DAMHIK

Reply to
John Rumm

I agree. I gave up on B&Q shortly after they introduced the automated check-out. I don't miss them. I am in central London and the nearest B&Q is at Park Royal, if I can be bothered to go that far its only another quarter mile to Wickes, and I have three branches of Leyland SDM within walking distance.

The local Waitrose has introduced some automated checkouts, last time I was invited to use one I told them, if I wanted that sort of service I would be shopping at Tesco.

Reply to
djc

All of B&Q in Ireland (6 stores, IIRC) is in serious trouble, but it's a separate company.

I've been to Athlone many times (I have a customer there), but I hadn't noticed there was a B&Q there.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think it would sound better if you said "Asda", provided it doesn't stick in your throat. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Isn't the first question it asks "Are you using your own bags?"

I don't like the automated checkouts either so don't use 'em muchbut fairly sure that is what the Tesco ones ask. Works for me but then I'm not usinga 1.5 kg rucsack...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

djc :

My response was similar when they started asking me whether I wanted one of their "loyalty" cards.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Or Morrisons.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I can do far better than that -

B&Q: "Self Tapping Screw AVF-860119 Pack Of 25 (W)3.5mm x (L)12mm" £5.68

Local hardware shop 32 of the same screws, 23 pence!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Don't know about that, not noticed there being nobody on ours, though its usually a young Asian who has no reall interest in doing the job. I wonder if they will be automating their security so that robot guards come and grab you if you try to leave without paying?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

B&Q mortice latch £5.47, Toolsatan £0.70!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

IMHO Morrisons are much better than poncy, over priced, nancy boy Waitrose.

Waitrose is full of Malcolm & Cressida Wright-Prat types.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You scan with the hand-held device, and it tells you to leave it on the trolley.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Morrisons seem to have gone on a roller coaster since the arrived here (taking over the Safeway). Better in lots of ways - followed by deterioration. Repeat.

Most recently they have changed all the fruit and veg section and have fancy misting systems, etc. Trouble is, their stock management seems to have been entirely missed and simply fail to have what I want!

Waitrose is a mixed bag - some things good, some no better than anywhere else, and often (but not always) more expensive than anywhere else when the item is not sold by Tesco!

Reply to
polygonum

True enough but Morrisons is full doddery old biddies treating the place as a Darby & Joan Club chatting just next to those stupid promotional baskets the store insists on placing down the middle of the aisles.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Just had yet another 'WTF do they do this' moment at the local Sainsburys. They've put cardboard adverts round all the card readers/keyboards so you can't steady the always loose one with one hand. Add that to the fact that they seem to be positioned for persons of restricted growth makes me want to use cash again. And just why to they have to be so small? ATMs seem to find the space for sensible sized keys and screen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 13/04/2013 11:41, Dave Plowman (News) wrote: ...

I like small keyboards on card machines. They allow me to simultaneously cover the keyboard and enter the PIN all with one hand. Large keyboards need you to move your hand around, potentially giving away the PIN.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I like the no nonsense approach of Lidl and Aldi.

Reply to
alan

In the 4 stores local to me all the staff seem to be the hard working native English.

Reply to
alan

Big gripe here is upward-only rent reviews, and recently some of the larger players have been saying 'no'. The small man with a small unit doesn't have the financial muscle to tell the landlord to get stuffed.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

its their no quality approach that leaves me cold.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher