OT(ish) 12V compressor vs. 240V compressor for tyres

I'm looking at a more robust compressor to blow up the camper van tyres. Rears need to go up to 5 bar 72.5 PSI. Basic 12v cigar lighter pumps can struggle to get this high and/or take a very long time.

So there is the well rated Ring RAC900

B000W08QZY for £75. This requires a direct connection to the battery via crocodile clips (however I think it could be linked to the leisure batteries via an intermediate connector).

Alternatively I could use an existing 12v pump for any emergency reflation (or use a garage air line) and have a 240V air compressor at home to do the heavy lifting.

Perhaps something like

compressor-240v/22374 or
which delivers 180Ltr/min against the Stanley 55Ltr/min.

Both in the same sort of price range although I would need to buy an airline as well.

Or I could wait for Aldi/Lidl to have a compressor in stock.

Anyway, home 240V (which at a pinch could go on the road with me as most camp sites have 240V hookup) or a dedicated 12V pump?

The 240V could possibly also be used for some small DIY tasks although I suspect it is mainly aimed at blowing up car tyres and the like.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Compressors are very useful bits of kit. Apart from blowing up tyres, you can run air tools fro them like nailers.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've got a 12v compressor and a mains one - and there's no comparison. The 12v one takes for ever, and the mains one is just like using an air line at a garage.

A mains compressor is also very good for blasting air at stuff to clean it. But don't expect to be able to use power tools with a small mains portable jobbie.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Or spray paint, of course.

I actually just bought the Lidl one for blasting dust off stuff in the workshop. Haven't really room for a larger one. But it was also just fine for spraying wax inside the old car's 'cavities' in short bursts. Very pleased with it given the low cost.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got one of the 2.5hp/25 litre "small proper" compressors that the Aldidl twins punt out occasionally for £60-70 or so - and it'll run an air impact rattlegun quite happily.

Reply to
Adrian

Not sure if this link will work

but it's the Vertex 85 litres per minute double head compressor which I bought in March, and it is very good indeed (I have a Renault Master van, just inflating one tyre to 65 psi by hand with a decent stirrup pump is knackering). It draws about 20 amps max so needs to go straight on a battery, not through a lighter socket. Currently showing out of stock.

This looks somewhat similar

A mains compressor is a nice toy to have, just about worth having for car tyres but if you are planning to get air tools get something above the entry level power and storage.

Reply to
newshound

Having blasted the dust off, where does the dust end up? I would think a dustpan/brush and/or vacuum cleaner might do better. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

In article , newshound writes

Looks good, allegedly still available here (Vertex VXPC-012):

but the site has limited company details and no published terms, buyer beware!

Tip, you can usually junk the question mark and following text on amazon links to make them shorter or trim to:

fred

Doesn't much matter.

For sawdust, etc, yes. But for small stuff a blast of air is better. And for drying things too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Nick writes

I thought I had found one of these in my normally excellent motor factor, he pulled the item off the shelf, the pic showed what I thought was the biz, including a diecast valve connector but on opening the box we found that it had been cost reduced to a plastic bodied valve connector and stem with a thin sheetmetal wrap, the same kind that had let me down (sheared off) in sub-zero temps on New Years Day the year before. Huge disappointment.

I don't think you can get decent stuff in retail these days.

Reply to
fred

In message , David writes

My Aldi mains compressor has been great for this, although I just lent it to a friend who has had trouble with the drain valve leaking. Aldi here often have the accessory kits (including the tyre kit) in the remainder area.

We have had to use 12volt units on the 3.5ton boat trailer tyres, and they have been a disaster. I've now got 3 with burnt out motors. On one I burnt my hand on the cigar plug when removing it to check the blown fuse. Using the cheap 3-way cigar socket adapters as extension lead from the car results in melted insulation and low volts at the pump, but there's often no other way to reach the wheels.

Reply to
Bill