OT. Is there a PC newsgroup?

"David Lang" wrote in news:nkFLe.3916$ snipped-for-privacy@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Actually I think it's by far the best solution if you don't mind lashing out.

My 512Meg stick has transformed data transfer between my computers, I think my CD writer can feel the draught!

mike

Reply to
mike ring

It's more tricky to move the email over (assuming you don't use a webmail system).

For that you either need to use the FAST wizard, or use Export/Import from your mail tool

Reply to
PC Paul

Hi Dave,

I don't think anyone has answered your question, just come up with other ideas. For starters I think Nero is the best way to go, you don't mention if you have tried Nero or Nero Express or what errors you had with them! Nevermind, with Nero you'd want to create a data CD then drag and drop your My Documents file onto the 'burn area'. This will simply copy your office files/picturs etc. It will not copy your favourites, stored email or desktop settings.

Once you have added all the files you wish to keep to your 'burn area' then you should check that your blank media has enough space to store your files. Look at the bar bellow, it should be blue and not cross over the 650mb line unless you are sure you have 700mb media.

For now I would recommend you use a new/blank disk to burn. It's worth noting that CD-RW and CD-R disks are burn in exactly the same way [2] (as a write-once per session, read-only disk), the only difference being that once a CD-RW has served it's purpose you can 'format' your disk so it acts as a blank disk again [2].

At this point you should continue and burn your disk, try selecting a lower speed (anything bellow 12x should work even on the slowest of PCs). Furthermore it should be noted that whilst a CD is burning you are adviced not to use your PC in anyway, this includes the playing of music or running of other background tasks. Older PCs are prone to suffer from buffer-underruns which basically means the PC cannot supply data fast enough to the LASER [3].

If you still continue to have problems I recommend you try some other media, even a cheap CD-R. It would also be good if you could quote (even roughly) some of the error messages... Screen dumps would be optimal if you know how to do this (check google.com). My final piece of advice to you would be to close everything down except your CD burning software (this includes internet and music players) and as much as you can running in the right corner by the clock (look for the

Reply to
Aaron

This is a huge amount of money, check out Amazon and ebuyer.co.uk, you could also use storage on you digital camera (assuming you have one!).

Reply to
Aaron

"PC Paul" wrote in news:xsOLe.2352$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

You got it in one - I make sure all email operations stay on one box.

Though in Eudora and Pegasus (can't make up my mind which one I like best), it's pretty simple.

I'm just afraid of forgetting what's where if I run email on both.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Me too. I use to feel that way but it got to be a pain when I was away from home.

Since I use a mail forwarding service (mail.com) I have that set now to forward my mail both to my ISP for OE use, and to my gmail account (got to get that 2493MB filled somehow!).

I use popfile for Spam filtering, BTW. Works very well after the first few days training - only have to teach it a new type of Spam about once a fortnight now.

Reply to
PC Paul

Even better, get one on Argos' "16 day moneyback free rental" scheme, since you are only using it once. When you take it back, say it didn't fit around the back (other cables too close) or you don't like the colour.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith (UK)

Try:

have been very happy with their prompt service, and I have not found better prices.

Rem

Reply to
Rembrandt Kuipers

You could get a couple of 802.11g USB WiFi dongles for about half that price.

Reply to
Rob Morley

It's very easy with Thunderbird (Mozilla)

Copy across the Profiles dir and all subdirs to the new PC, install Thunderbird, if Tb doesn't pick up the Profiles dir it will create a default. Go into profile.ini or whatever it's called in the default, edit the location to point to the new dir.

The procedure is as described on the Tb help website for moving the mailbox to another location.

Of course, if you're using OE, you need to install Tb on the old machien first to import the OE files into the Tb profile.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"PC Paul" wrote in news:6mPLe.2378$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

I've never got on with training filters, and I don't like downloading any part of spam, so I've always uswed Mailwasher (old free version).

A few simple rules catch just about all spams, and as I've got to eyeball the headers anyway, just to be sure, it suits me and is IMO much quicker all round.

I'm trying poptray now, and it seems just as good, maybe a bit better on entering rules.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

I've used Mailwasher before, it's OK but I find popfile is much more flexible (It can sort my mail into categories other than 'SPAM' and 'NOT SPAM' very easily, and add a header to them for later sorting into mailboxes.

And it doesn't need extensive whitelists when it guesses wrong...

Reply to
PC Paul

How do you stop it dispaying HTML then? It's my only real beef about Thunderbird. I've read the FAQs etc time and time again but no success.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

How about View\Message Body As\Plain Text ?

Reply to
Howard Neil

Tried that, but it only affects the current message. Even then, it still loads images when attached.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Oh. I've just tried it and you are right. I would have expected it to work. Sorry.

Have you tried Tools\Options\Advanced\Privacy\tick "Block loading of remote images in mail messages" ? (I have not tried this, either)

If this does not work I can only suggest asking in the Thunderbird Support forum of MozillaZine :-

Howard Neil