OT: ip cam conundrum

Have a few (3) basic ip cams hanging on my home network 2 via homeplugs 1 wirelessly.

Bought another to play with & plumbed it in direct to the router yday.

I use IpCamLite on an android phone to look at the video streams of 2 of the cams from time to time.

Since I added the new one I'm getting lost signals from the usual 2 cams, slow updating of streams (judging by the freezing onscreen clocks). When I switch off the new one all seems well again.

Can I really have reached the limit of my network /router ?

What can I do to address this?

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Very possibly - in your router settings check your *upstream* ADSL speed, you might have 16 Mb downloading but be less than 1 Mb for uploading.

Also decrease the frame rate in the new camera and see if it plays more nicely.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ignoring the camera aspect, I have certainly seen situations in which a single misbehaving network device drags the whole lot down.

Most often seen (by me) when there is one old pile of poo connected, especially through a hub. But also when a good, new W7 machine was connected with ipv6 active (as it is by default).

Reply to
polygonum

Ah, I should have made it clear - I only currently view them when I'm at home, i.e. my phone is on the same network too (not distant so not using ADSL?)

I've just set it up (again) running on wireless rather than wired and also lowered the framerate on it and one of the others.

IPCamLite on phone now working OK so far, even with the new camera also showing on-screen i.e. 3 cams at once, even works OK so far with

4 cams on screen.

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Seems unlikely...

Could you have an IP address conflict on the new camera?

Reply to
John Rumm

nope don;t think so - I had it set up manually on an unused ip address initially. Wirelessly on dhcp it was/is a lot better except it crashes every hour - bugger ;

Reply to
Jim K

Reply to
John Rumm