OT:Internet oddity - DNS problem

just noticed I get different IP lookups from OpenDNS and BTs DNS servers for

and BTs ones don't work ...

Reply to
Jethro

Non-authoritative answer: Name:

Address: 92.52.96.89

From Virgin. What two addresses are you getting? And how?

I am using 'nslookup' from a command prompt under Vista and on my first attempt forgot the trailing '.' which gave an unusual result of

Non-authoritative answer: Name:

Address: 81.200.64.50

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I remember from when ElReg were hacked they have hosting in UK and USA, quite likely they at least give different DNS results based on the geographical location ...

Perhaps one of their sites is having problems, or perhaps they're mid-move and you're seeing some stale DNS results.

Reply to
Andy Burns

just a ping, returning the IP ... BT's started with a 9x. range , OpenDNS is 50.57.15.204

My VM connection is through a Linux box I remote into, my BT connection is into my Laptop.

I set the BT router to return OpenDNS for its DNS servers, and things are fine now. Just unusual to be unable to access a site for so long.

Reply to
Jethro

Authoritative cost I run my own server

dig any

; DiG 9.7.3 any

;; global options: +cmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER What two addresses are you getting?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Using BTs DNS I get:

Non-authoritative answer: Name:

Address: 92.52.96.89

Using OpenDNS:

Non-authoritative answer: Name:

Address: 50.57.15.204

However, both those addresses do resolve to the site - both hosted by Rackspace, but one is notionally theregister.com and the other the .co.uk

Reply to
John Rumm