OT: Internet Browser handy tip

As Mozilla FireFox seems to be suggesting I upgrade from FF2 to FF3 on all my machines at the moment I actually took time to visit the "what's new" page. A most usefull feature is pressing "Ctrl +" or Ctrl -" zooms in or out of a web page! Brilliant for anyone that struggles to read the tiny text used for some web sites.

HTH Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Is that new? Thought it had been there for ages. Zoom has certainly been available for many releases - but I usually use the Ctrl key plus the scroll wheel on my mouse.

I upgraded to FF3 a while ago - no significant problems for me.

Reply to
Rod

That's been in Mozilla for as long as I can remember.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Doh! Wish somone had told me about it then!

No worries. My Dad will appreciate knowing about it at least. :¬)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Yup works in Sea monkey too as I read your message in the news reader.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I set a minimum font size saves have to press buttons when a site is badly constructed. And yes that Ctl +/- is in my 1.7.12 Mozilla under OS/2...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Strangely Having again been "forced" to get the last 2 PC's with Vista on, I had only just found out that Ctrl with Mouse wheel re-sizes desktop icons which had been annoyingly large with no obvious way of changing size.

My main prblem was with sorting out a fix for FF3 not allowing on-site (www) html editors to accces PC notepad which presented a problem with copy/paste to the html editor page of our new in-development web site.

Sorted now though thankfully.

Back to D-I-Y entering nearly 1000 products onto the new site. :¬(

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

There's a subtle difference. Ff2 just zoomed the text, ff3 zooms everything, text and images together.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

That's probably why the View menu has a "Zoom text only" option, to make it work like FF2.

It would be nice if you could zoom just the pictures, but that doesn't seem to be an option!

Reply to
Roger Mills

scroll the wheel in your NG pane or browser.

Reply to
George

Like IE then. 8-)

Reply to
dennis

OK here's a related tip so you can't say nobody told you:

Ctrl zero to reset to normal size.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

You can zoom images (individually or globally) if you install the Image Zoom add-on . Also handy for shrinking those images that are too big for the screen.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I upgraded this morning but one thing it did tell me was that the Real Player Browser Record Plugin doesn't work in the new version which is a pain as I regularly record things .

One thing I find it doesn't do ( I'm certain the previous version did) is open links in a new tab or new window despite me having the Option in Tools/Options set to do so . That only works if I press Ctrl at the same time as clicking the link ...I'm sure that's not the way it should be .

I can see me reverting to FF2 if that's possible .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Problems here with FF3 as well,this won't work anymore and I find it very useful for finding pics or youtube vids without all the advertisments and crap in my face...

George

Odd - seems fine for me.

Reply to
Rod

Well I have just gone back to the latest FF2 so I can use the Real Player Download Plugin

...Check the FF Forums ..a lot of unhappy folk in there ..:-)

As for opening links in new tabs it does it if the link is external like in an e-mail but if it's from an existing page you need to click Ctrl at the same time otherwise it just uses the same tab..tht's where I was wrong in what I said before .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

NOSPAMnet

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

In the end it's down to plugin Authors to mod things if necessary. It's not always possible to keep things working the same (quite extensions needed to be updated to work with FF3, but all those I use have been I think)

There is always unhappy folk when a bit of software changes, esp with a pretty big change from one version to the next. Inevitable I think. It isn't necessarily a measure of the new version being poor.

Isn't this the same behaviour as FF2 ? (not got a FF2 version here anymore to check). This seems sensible behaviour I'd imagine that those people who would always want to open a link in a new tab/window would be small

Reply to
chris French

I think I agree with Chris.

What I actually do has not changed since upgrading to FF3. If I want to open in new tab, I click on 'Open link in new tab' (saves using the keyboard). I ask FF to open a new tab (rather than window) as default. However, there might be other ways of doing things that have changed.

(Half the problem seems to me that for most links, you do not actually know whether it will open in the same place or open a new window/tab.)

Reply to
Rod