OT: Intermittent Broadband connection problem

About eight weeks ago, after four years of reliable service, we started losing our VirginMedia broadband connection on an intermittent basis (phone and tv unaffected, all cabled not wireless). Didn't really think anything of it at first because it would be off for a few minutes and then sort itself out. A fortnight later, it was off more than on - modem ready light flashing instead of 'on' constantly. Rebooting didn't help. (Pic of boxes here:

tech visits, has no idea what's wrong, changes the modem (which proves to be DOA), changes the modem again, changes the TV/data isolator ("It's slightly warm, maybe that's the problem"), detaches and reattaches a couple of equalisers on the back of the modem, tells me to throw away a cross-over adaptor on the set-top box (although there's a label on the STB saying that a a cross-over adaptor is required (and it continues to work as before without the cross-over adaptor)).

He phones Virgin tech to get them to check at their end. I can tell from the conversation they're totally unhelpful. He gripes about them not helping field engineers to diagnose upstream faults.

It's working. He's about to leave. The connection drops again.

He goes to the green distribution box in the street, shows me that there are two busbars in there and says that we're on the lower power one because we're so near to the box. He puts us on the higher power one.

It's working. He leaves. Two weeks later and we're stuffed again.

Another engineer arrives, tells me the flashing ready light indicates an upstream green box problem, dumps one of the equalisers from the modem, tells me both busbars are the same power and which one you're connected to makes no difference, loosens a nut in the box and retightens it and says that that often solves poor connection problems. That sounds like a crock of shit to me but amazingly it does start working again and we have a month of uninterrupted broadband.

Until yesterday. And Virgin are sending a third tech around this p.m.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be so I don't have to watch him go through the same twice-failed tick-box routine? A spade through a cable somewhere? A fault way upstream at Virgin's "exchange" or whatever they call the broadband equivalent?

Any pointers to help Virgin do their job would be much appreciated.

Reply to
mike

Is it a wireless modem?

I had a long-running problem with very similar random drop-outs - which turned out to be due to another nearby wireless router using the same radio channel.

It seems the two devices would get tied in knots by this, drop out for a (random) while, then come back up for a random while.

Changed the radio channel in the router config - end of problem.

Reply to
dom

No, all cabled up.

Reply to
mike

Sounds like Virgin need to actually test the signal when they come round, and possibly cut all the F connectors off their feed cables in your house and the green box outside and remake the connections, as when they disturb them, it fixes it for a while.

I am not sure if this works on the Samsung boxes (I still have an old Pace one) power off the set top box by unplugging it or switching it off at the wall hold the up and down buttons on the box (not the remote) while still holding these two buttons power the box back up and keep hold of the buttons until you get into the service menu of the box you can then scroll though and see various details, including a page that shows the signal strength

Look at it when your broadband is working, and then again when it drops out to see if there is a difference, if there is, then the problem is with part of the cable that the two devices share.

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

In my cynical and jaded world it sounds like there is no cause - effect relationship between the actions these engineers took and the connection working / crashing. I wouldn't be surprised if the connection just came back of its own accord, irrespective of the fiddling and poking from the engineers. One thing: how much rain have you had recently? Is it possible that the earth connection to / in / near your unit has increased in resistance due to drying out. A bucket of salty water poured over something (what?) might make a difference. ... THough I'd expect that to affect your TV and phone too. Hmmm. What about other Virgin customers nearby? any idea if they're having problems, but haven't bothered to report it, or just think it's normal.

Reply to
pete

Sounds like the classic problem you get with a iffy connection. Get them to check, reseat and/or reterminate(*) every single joint between your box and the street cabinet. And I mean every joint, including any in any intermediate pavement/road boxes that may exist (and they will probably deny).

They ought to have a Time Domain Reflectometer, this will tell them how far any impedance disturbance (iffy connection, partial short, leakage to ground, crushed cable, etc) is from it.

*)Reseat: Take apart, clean, check for damage (act accordingly!) and put back together.

Reterminate: Cut off old connector, check condition of cable, cut back if damaged, wet etc, refit new connector.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

mike wibbled on Tuesday 20 July 2010 08:43

That's you're problem.

I had to sit behind a guy at work who spent every tea break on the phone beating the living crap out of them until he found a decent provider...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks for that. I'll see if the Samsung box works in the same way. On both occasions, the engineers tested the signal strength and it was OK - of course, they tested it when it was working.....

Despite being off for hours yesterday, it's working now and I dare say it will be when they come round.

Reply to
mike

I'd thought about weather effects and wondered if some cable or connection was getting soused, but I can't see any correlation.

None of the near neighbours are with Virgin although, looking in the green box, other people in the street are. The folks next door said they have similar problems and they're with BT. I mentioned this to Virgin and asked if they had any infrastructure in common but they said their system was entirely separate.

Reply to
mike

In article , Tim Watts scribeth thus

I can tell you that I know of some 20 people who live less than 5 miles from Cambridge city centre who'd pay a lot of money to get the VM service over the flaky sub 1 Meg ADSL they have to suffer now!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Excellent stuff, Dave (and Toby). I'll push to have all the connections swapped ask about the reflectometer.

Reply to
mike

I hear what you're saying but my experience of other telecom companies hasn't exactly been inspiring and Virgin's broadband is good... when it works.

I think any choice in this area probably amounts to picking the best of a bad bunch and, depending on what criteria you use, one bunch of shysters edges ahead of another bunch of shysters.

Reply to
mike

1: The neighbour that is screwing the network up removes the pirate box when he sees the engineer arrive, this removes the fault for a bit. 2: Virgin don't have a clue.

3: Swap the cable to the STB and the modem and see what happens.

Reply to
dennis

The tech support centre refuse to talk to the engineers out on the job. The customer has to call them. At least that's what happened to my Father in law when a new installation didn't work.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Not a phone number, but either use twitter to get their attention saying you aren't happy (tweet @virginmedia). Once you get their attention they will tell you to email them - send them your tale of woe. Then, they will ring you back. It's four guys in newcastle (IIRC) and they have power to log calls *as the customer* and they are good at chasing (which means you don't have to). Excellent service via this route (you shouldn't have to but...).

Another option is

- post your story on their and see if they bite :-)

Several VM engineers and people with internal contacts on there - can be very effective.

Finally, if you are on the 50MBit service, try ringing 0800 052 0431

This used to be UK 50MBit support and bypassed the indian call centres (not sure that's the case now but worth a try). Also, they do have a concept of "senior engineers" - after a two call outs I'd ask for one of those...

It's a pain that you have to go to these lengths, but they are quite responsive when you finally manage to get to talk to someone useful.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Log into the cable modem (192.168.100.1, user name root, password root) and look at downstream receive power and s/n

Also upstream transmit power level.

mine is currently Cable Modem Upstream Upstream Lock : Locked Upstream Channel ID : 4 Upstream Frequency : 37500000 Hz Upstream Modulation : QPSK Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec Upstream transmit Power Level : 38.5 dBmV Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2 Cable Modem Downstream Downstream Lock : Locked Downstream Channel Id : 1 Downstream Frequency : 403000000 Hz Downstream Modulation : QAM256 Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec Downstream Interleave Depth: taps32Increment4 Downstream Receive Power Level: -8.2 dBmV Downstream SNR : 37.9 dB

Cable Modem Status Item Status Comments Acquire a Downstream Channel 403000000 Hz Locked Connectivity State OK Operational Boot State OK Operational

Apologies for poor tabbing. If the figures are significantly different to mine report them to the droid. The "customer (dis-)service" peeps should have access to these figures, but osten don't seem to understand them.

Reply to
<me9

I've looked into changing. I'm on Virgin. I dn't like the sales side, and the very excessively priced phone[7]. However it has been very reliable, but on the odd occasions has been out, and CS is abominable unless you get UK or retentions.

However, at about 2 miles from the exchage the highest speed BT say I might be able to expect is 3Mbi. Generally I get 10Mbi oout of Virgin. I'll stay put unless it gets much worse.

[7] Skype gets round a lot of that problem.
Reply to
<me9

You might also ask in:- free.virginmedia.discussion.broadband - but specify the model of modem so you could get a specific reply possibly from someone with the same type. My modem is an old Motorola Surfboard SB4100 and has web pages available which give signal strength and logs.

Reply to
Geo

Thanks for the link.

Not sure whether the rest of the figures are significantly different although the Downstream Receive Power level is +3.7 dBmV as opposed to your -8.2 dBmV. Is that important?

Cable Modem Upstream Upstream Lock : Locked Upstream Channel ID : 4 Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz Upstream Modulation : QPSK Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec Upstream transmit Power Level : 48.5 dBmV Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Cable Modem Downstream Downstream Lock : Locked Downstream Channel Id : 2 Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz Downstream Modulation : QAM256 Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17 Downstream Receive Power Level : 3.7 dBmV Downstream SNR : 42.1 dB

Cable Modem Status Item Status Comments

Acquire a Downstream Channel

586750000 Hz Locked

Connectivity State OK Operational

Boot State OK Operational

Reply to
mike

Chuck that then, the small Blue ones are much better:)..

Reply to
tony sayer