OT: Interesting project

Not all automata are antiques. The video shows some amazing craftsmanship.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Holy crap.

Reply to
Huge

Most incredible craftsmanship I have ever seen.

Reply to
Ericp

Chris J Dixon expressed precisely :

Wow, just Wow!!

Reply to
John

It can write better than me as well ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

En el artículo , Chris J Dixon escribió:

That made my day, thanks. A real labour of love.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

But it can't use a keyboard...

Reply to
Nick

That would be easy for it, all you need is a new stack of cams.

They are interesting bits of mechanics but not exactly difficult if you have the time to "waste".

Reply to
dennis

It vaguely reminds me of the early days of production line robots. One of the alternator makes wanted a robot to do final assembly but claimed there was a lot of skill in assembling the rotor with operators "feeling" when parts were correctly aligned and pushed home. One part of the engineering team wanted to model the feel using strain gauges and complex control laws. A brighter guy realised that by fitting the robot with a tool that had limited "give" in the movement he could reproduce the process if getting a slide followed by a positive "click" as the part went home.

Looking at the automaton I was wondering about how it avoids scratching the paper and decided it must be something similar to limit the force applied to the paper.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In article , Steve Firth writes

Note the carefully positioned elastic band.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Yes similar idea to the assembly robot. That had a "wrist" that looked a but like the spring supports used for broadcast microphones. Cunning and cheap solution to mimicking a biological mechanism that involves complex neural and muscular control.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That was my immediate thought, too - or perhaps even money rather than time; I did wonder how much of it was hand-crafted and how much was via CNC. I listened to it without audio, so perhaps that goes into detail...

Reply to
Jules Richardson

There are other videos on youtube about this particular firm. Much of it is handmade craftsman style work, with an emphasis on watch / clock making skills. They also employ a seamstress to do all the clothing, and model makers etc.

Reply to
John Rumm