OT: installing home charger for an EV

This is fairly OT but there seem to be quite a few sensible people who contribute here and some of you might have been through the same deliberations that I'm going through. Much to my surprise I'm considering getting a PHEV through the company so am trying to struggle up a steep learning curve. Has anyone investigated installing (or having someone install) a home charging point? If so, are there any considerations that may not be apparent at first sight? Has anyone who has had extended experience of a PHEV (I'm thinking of a M-B C350e) have views on what they're like to live with in the real world? All constructive comments welcome.

Reply to
nospam

Ignorant of what a PHEV was, I googled it and saw this, which you may not be aware of

Chris Hogg

Perhaps inevitably, none of the top scoring reviews of the C350e say anything more than that it has a 60 kW motor and can do 19 miles or 80 mph on battery alone. Nothing about the actual battery capacity, or charging requirements.

If, from your research, you have any more info on charging points then no doubt the assembled wisdom will have some comments.

Reply to
newshound

I should have added, I have a Jazz hybrid which is quite nice, quick off the lights and almost makes motorway roadworks a pleasure although that has as much to do with the auto-stop, automatic transmission, and good cruise control. I'd expect the "driving experience" in a C350e to be similarly pleasant.

Reply to
newshound

6.2kWh which seems consistent miles per watt-hour with a tesla's 265m from 85kWh

About 2 hours from a 13A socket, sounds about right, but some reviews said they only got 8 miles of pure electric range, instead of the claimed 19.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks, I wasn't. The Outlander is interesting but I don't need the space and the acceleration is poor compared to others.

Reply to
nospam

It's going to be very dependent on whether the acceleration capability is used to the full, air temperature, and how well the regenerative braking can be used in the prevailing cirumstances.

(I sat in a chap's Tesla recently - very desirable but I don't think I could accept a full EV (or pay the Tesla price tag!) until the range gets a lot better.)

Reply to
nospam

I rather hope that PHEV makers do a better job of fitting their batteries than did Samsung and their Note 7.

Reply to
polygonum

Model 3 due next year IIRC

Reply to
newshound

I (re-)installed[1] 6kW one for a mate of mine so he could charge his Leaf

[1] He originally got it fitted as a free deal when he got the car. Then wanted moved to the front of the house after having a new drive built there.

Only that it needs its own circuit, and needs to be near where the car will be charged.

Hybrid, no. Only observed my mate's PEV... Observations which ensured that its next to useless in its current form for anything other than a very limited set of usage patterns.

Reply to
John Rumm

Make the range good enough, and then it will take too long to charge...

Reply to
John Rumm

Looks like there is a substantial grant available for the installation:

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I have an EV. All depends on your proposed use. ie how many miles daily you do and if you have another car. You might get by with an overnight charge using the 2/3Kw charge lead that comes with it. (Just normal 13a plug).

In my case I rarely need to charge it for more the four or five hours and mostly only two or three.

Alternative is a special charger around twice the size. British Gas was doing some special deal on these at one point. This needs a 20 or 30 Amp supply separately wired back to your consumer unit.

Most people have economy seven and a timer to get the cheap electricity. Many people with EVs also have PV solar panels for free electricity. But you have to be there in the daytime to benefit.

These two chargers mentioned work by limiting the AC supply to the car. The cars on board rectifier (converts AC to DC) charges the battery.

The really fast chargers you see at motorway cafes deliver DC and plug into a different socket on the car. They are usually three phase so you won't be able to fitone at home in most cases.

Reply to
harry

Further to above. PHEVs only have a small battery compared with pure EV so a small charger should not be a problem. The range on battery only is quite small (30miles ISTR?). The battery can alternatively be charged from the engine which takes over for longer journeys. You have the alternative of driving battery only, battery and engine. Also charge battery from engine while driving or charge battery at home. Obviously charging battery at home is cheapest. And driving short journeys on battery only/charge when you get home is cheapest. Or charge at public charge point.

Reply to
harry

What is a Fev, I know what the blind say it is its a F*****g Electric vehicle. Mainly because you cannot hear them coming and almost get run down. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

At speed, EVs are not much quieter than ICe cars Most noise is from tyres.

When going slowly there is an audible sounder. Which by law has to have a switch to turn it off. Many EV drivers turn it off as it is usually an irritating whining noise.

Reply to
harry

One of the early Mitsubishi EVs caught fire on the production line rumour has it. Allegedly been fixed.

harry

Until battery technology improves ...

Reply to
Scott

... and someone repeals the laws of physics.

Typical petrol pump delivers ~ 40L/min Energy density of petrol ~ 30MJ/L so the energy delivered while refuelling is ~ 30 x 40 MJ/min, or 20MJ/s, or 20MW

20MW @ 240V is 80KA

20MW @ 100A is 200KV

Which one of them do you want J. Sixpack handling on the forecourt?

(Feel free to point out if these numbers are crap, O level maths and physics were over 35 years ago!)

Reply to
Ian

Or extension cables.

Reply to