OT: India joins the EU!

They are one and the same...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And hard on the heals of this thread we have the news that the fusion research program (which is EU funded) may be at risk. Perhaps the most important research of this sort going on at this time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It says a lot for the likes of you that the best you can manage is to take such things literally. Yet another sign of having totally lost the plot. Much like HMG. The BEXITEERS having got what they wanted have now absolutely no idea how to go forward.

It's odd that after all these years of the Euro sceptics going on and on about the evil EU none of them have thought beyond leaving it.

And with much of the public who voted leave it seems to be wanting to turn the clock back.

And you wonder why sensible people are annoyed by these short sighted idiots?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And the only fools and horses story of the chandaliar falling from the ceiling is also based on a true story.

Reply to
whisky-dave

ITYF that there is no such thing as "the" fusion research program

tim

Reply to
tim...

Indeed.

There's about 4 technologies being looked at in over a dozen projects.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Very likely. John Sullivan who wrote it (and I knew quite well) was a scenic operative at TVC before becoming a writer. That department built the studio sets and dressed them. And obviously accidents happened. His first series, Citizen Smith, was based on Che Guevara.

It's how many writers get their ideas. From real life. But if these situations were the norm, they'd not be funny.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Very good Tim. That must make the point invalid, then. Hope those involved are relieved by this. Have you given them the good news?

Send them an email:-

'Because a poster to uk.d-i-y got the name of a project wrong, the EU is pleased to announce all such things will continue as was regardless of BREXIT'

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

it was filmed in a school not too far away from here and was recently mentioned again either in a local paper or on local radio. The original incident was by some plumbers one of which was J Sullivan's father, he was sacked over it.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

yes as it was in an interview with the writers on one of those 100 best mom ents that they re-hash around christmas. It;s hard to believ something like that would happen but I guess in the DIY world and even pros f*ck up.

(and I knew quite well) was a

Maybe I should do one with students, had one yesterday filling out a google spreadsheet, for ordering, in the quantity box she put 100+ managed to g et the order code correct but the 100+ X price didn't work obviouly. She only wanted ONE so I deleted the 100+, so 1 item at £5.10 the to tal came to £5.10. 5 mins later the total changes to £6.14 as she deleted the formula of 1Xcell and typed in £6.14 as the total be cause I told her DO NOT include VAT :-

Reply to
whisky-dave

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

The more you rant the more stupid you appear.

The plan is ..well going to plan. You wouldn't know a plan if it kicked you up the arse.

Evidence? F or what they are worth the polls are saying the opposite.

You are irritating rather than annoying but we know eventually you will see the light.

Reply to
bert

I am not for one minute suggesting that the particular research program isn't closing because the name is wrong

I was commenting upon your follow up that this was "important" research and implication that it was a critical loss to the world.

Well Fusion research might be important but there are lots of dead ends, and one program in a dozen could easily be the one that has run it course.

tim

Reply to
tim...

In article , tim... writes

Well given that the EU is so anti fission reactors what chance does fusion have?

Reply to
bert

I'm not suggesting it is closing at all. Just that it may be under threat.

Interesting that you are so negative about this sort of research but oh so positive about leaving the EU.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

fusion is "clean" nuclear

tim

Reply to
tim...

I'm not negative about this sort of research

Just saying that one failed project isn't the end of the world

tim

Reply to
tim...

Oh dear...oh dear...

And WHAT do you think the result of fusing two deuterium nuclei is?

Helium, energy (as photons) and NEUTRONS at pretty damned high energy.

And why are fission reactors radioactive long after the fuel has been removed, taking 60-100 years to be safe? And do the materials of which they are made become radioactive and often brittle and prone to failure?

NEUTRON bombardment.

And what cannot be contained by a magnetic field?

NEUTRONS.

You don't have spent fuel and its long term isotopes, but a fusion reactor would need just as much shielding and be just as radioactive as a fission one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Then why does it produce radioactive waste?

Reply to
dennis

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Spread a little FUD every day.

Not interesting at all.

Reply to
bert

The clue is in the double-quotes around the word "clean". It's called "irony". Y'know, like goldeny but made or iron rather than gold.

Reply to
Tim Streater