OT: India joins the EU!

the UK-rEU borders are already "controlled" wrt to passport checks and normal tourists are unlikely to be affected

the point about being in the EU is that under current rules we (and they) are NOT allowed to refuse permission to anyone who proffers a valid EU passport, even if they have a string of criminal conviction as long as your arm (insert list of other reason you may wish to use to exclude someone)

That is the "control" that we wish to win back.

tim

Reply to
tim...

I absolutely did not "categorical say" that there are no EU projects that we are involved in

you need to go back to school to learn comprehension, it is all there in the PP.

tim

Reply to
tim...

Then I suppose we will remain in the EBU and therefore in the Eurovision Song Contest - :-(

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

And have clearly bought the passport on the black market in Damascus...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That isn't what was claimed, that is just brexiteers making up project fear.

What was said was that there were doubts about EU investment in projects in the UK. What we invest in is up to us and the EU will be quite happy to take the cash.

You brexiteers really must be desperate to convince us that project fear was more than your imaginations.

Reply to
dennis

Fuck that.. The biggest reason for Brexit was to leave the Eurovision Song Contest.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Applying for a Visa or standing in a long queue while they verify you are only a tourist and not some illegal seeking work.

This is what many brexiteers want and while its unlikely they will actually get it there is a slim chance. Or maybe they only want that on the UK side for visitors and expect us to be accepted without the same?

Reply to
dennis

The issue isn't one of whether we will have to "staff" an office to do the same administrative task. It is clear that for many things, that we will.

It is that, it is claimed, our scientist community will lose out because we will no longer be able to participate on the mega projects that are performed on a pan-European basis (both directly, by individuals not having the opportunity gain work on the project and indirectly by losing the opportunity for our education establishments to interacted with the large numbers of foreign experts working on the project).

As the home of the best crop of universities in Europe, by a country mile, I find the idea that these projects will freeze us out because we leave the EU as laughable. And that's before you consider that many of these projects are not funded by the EU budget but by the consortium of countries involved in project "paying in and taking out" in an approximately fair manner.

tim

Reply to
tim...

And you need to consider those going from the UK into then EU. At present. the French make a pretence of checking your passport. I suspect their officialdom will get a lot more officious. I still remember seeing German car trying to enter France from Switserland in the late 1950s.

Reply to
charles

I have never had a check going into France, I have coming back. I expect that will change.

Reply to
dennis

You think?

Think you might have to persuade those who wanted immigration

*drastically* reduced - to the proverbial trickle. Not just those with a criminal record. Or those coming to sponge off the state. Who are only going to be a tiny percentage. >
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just trying in vain to get some numbers from one who obviously knows. Not the usual guesswork. And I was referring to EU projects specifically. But I'd guess you're just one of those optimists that think leaving the EU will have no effect on the things the UK doesn't want effected.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's one. And add in customs checks.

It's odd that so many want control over our borders without having a clue what that means. And then there will be the one between Eire and Ulster.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which would mean the EU would be happy to take cash from anyone on any project. I wouldn't be too sure about that. For all sorts of reasons they might well want to keep such things totally under their control.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were in the EBU at least 20 years before the EU.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think you missed the bit about "valid" passport

tim

Reply to
tim...

but they are talking about restrictions on people coming here to work

not tourists

and the restrictions on people coming here to work wont be enforced at the border

It will be enforced by (hopefully better enforcement of) employment laws

tim

Reply to
tim...

when you say "we", you imply the country but in reality the EBU is an association of Broadcasters. The BBC was one of its founder members (in

1950). UK Independent Broadcasting (current name) joined in 1960.
Reply to
charles

I note that another of the EBU's brainchildren was 'jeux sans frontieres' - where apparently rational adults were persuaded to behave like toddlers in kindergarten and 'play nice' with other countries.

Frankly we need another referendum to leave the EBU as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Would it get us a more successful lander though?

Reply to
Nightjar