OT - Importing a Northern Irish car into England

Will do. Thanks.

And as you are interested I have additional info.

My brother did phone me today to say that he has found a "tax disc" under the passenger seat. It is not a proper tax disc. The disc is white and in black writing it says "Vehicle Test Certificate NI , the reg number and exp

2011"

I'll try and get a photo if it helps. We are not in a hurry.

Reply to
ARW

hopefully there'll be no traces of semtex, old fertiliser (cough) bags, or used balaclavas in it......

is that you gerry?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

What's that got to do with it?

Isn't it like saying the Republic of Ireland is part of the British Isles?

Reply to
Fredxx

Well if anyone asks questions a bloke called Patrick brought it into my brothers garage and never came back for it or paid for the work my brother did on it.

Reply to
ARW

Well that in itself is highly suspicious. Has anyone thought of reporting the car's presence to the police, just to determine its status?

Reply to
Arty Effem

I haven't and I am not going to - but that's because I want a free car.

Reply to
ARW

You might get a free stay in one of HM's establishments if it has been used for anything odd.

If you report it to the police, and no-one claims it, in six months it's yours (if I have my facts right). Since you are happy to store it for Mr Plod for the 6 months they'll be glad you called.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I thought it was 3 months BICBW?

I thought it was an easy matter to get the owner's details as long as you have good cause. In this case ARW could be enquiring who the registered keeper is regarding "storage costs" on behalf of the warehouse owner!?

Reply to
Fredxx

is it just me that imagines the storage costs might equal if not exceed the value of the paddy wagon? ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

DVLA NI and GB were definitely separate (don't know if they still are). A collegue of my wife was caught drink driving in Manchester and was banned. It did not affect his NI licence and he could still drive whenever he went home to Belfast to visit his family.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

That's my point, but if at least you have tacit agreement regarding the disposal then no criminal act will have taken place.

Adam could then have a more legitimate title to the car, or at least one that can't be challenged in the criminal courts.

Reply to
Fredxx

I suspect this has changed, as it was announced some time ago that a joint scheme has been setup for driving offences in the UK and the Irish Republic. I think one of the main reasons for this was to catch NI drivers who drive like lunatics in the Republic, and used to be immune.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy