OT If the EU want to do something useful.......rather than pick on vacuum cleaners

And they want the tax.

If they had any sense they'd introduce a "Schedule-A tax for home working". So, if you cut the grass at home, you are paying yourself to do that and we want tax on that at the going rate.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Stuff the inconvenience. What about the cost?

Why should we have to fit a relatively sophisticated door closer (with, I rather assume all sorts of safety interlocks and automatic switch to open in an emergency). The door is NEVER left open. We open and close it as required for access/egress.

As the door is downstairs from every other part of out premises, we'd be mad to leave it open. Anyone could pick up post or parcels that have been left there, or decide to urinate on the carpet.

Reply to
polygonum

OK, so change the suggestion to 'commercial premises with regular, freely available access by the public'?

Steve Walker

Reply to
tim.....

You mean they don;t want to lose it to fraud. Looking around at interest rate you'll be lucky to get 1%. And if you do save, you'll pay tax on it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

3% on Santander's current account. Even after basic rate tax it beats inflation: 2.4% v 1.2%.

That's what I've just signed up for and now lloyds are doing 4% but I believe it's only for teh 1st year then it's back to 0.l%

A lot of peole have been conned by savings so most are reluctant to save in the way they once were with 8-12% on offer in the 80s.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Don't forget to put your direct debits onto the Santander account: up to

3% cashback on them.

elieve it's only for teh 1st year then it's back to 0.l%

in the way they once were with 8-12% on offer in the 80s.

Neither does 3% or 4%, they advertise it as such but in reality you pay a m onthly fee for the privilege of getting that percentage, so you dont come o ut ahead in practice. Do the maths. I said to the guy in the bank I'd get m ore interest investing in pot noodles and he laughed and agreed.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

believe it's only for teh 1st year then it's back to 0.l%

e in the way they once were with 8-12% on offer in the 80s.

monthly fee for the privilege of getting that percentage, so you dont come out ahead in practice. Do the maths. I said to the guy in the bank I'd get more interest investing in pot noodles and he laughed and agreed.

So do the maths I did.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Looks like a lot of their calculated earnings is for cashback on payments. Why do they have to make it all so complicated?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

ut I believe it's only for teh 1st year then it's back to 0.l%

save in the way they once were with 8-12% on offer in the 80s.

ou pay a monthly fee for the privilege of getting that percentage, so you d ont come out ahead in practice. Do the maths. I said to the guy in the bank I'd get more interest investing in pot noodles and he laughed and agreed.

As I just said, I did, and you dont really get 3 or 4%.

Reply to
meow2222

You get 3% plus cash back at santander. But there is a £2 pm charge that you can usually get refunded if you try.

The cash back is more than enough to pay the fee even if you just dd your power and council tax.

Reply to
dennis

tax it beats

but I believe it's only for teh 1st year then it's back to 0.l%

to save in the way they once were with 8-12% on offer in the 80s.

you pay a monthly fee for the privilege of getting that percentage, so you dont come out ahead in practice. Do the maths. I said to the guy in the ba nk I'd get more interest investing in pot noodles and he laughed and agreed .

No it tells you on the site what you get.

it cost £2=£24 per year is what it costs I get 3% cashback on broadband & TV which I pay £60 a 3% month + £1.80 per month saved. Council tax about £85 a month 1% so 85p back

So that's paid for the £2 a month easily. I also use my card for TV license gas/elec and loads of other things. I expect to be aboput £150 per year better off. Might change next year of course.

considering barclays were giving me ZERO and 0% intrest

whisky-dave

I do. Well ahead.

I did, and I'm ahead of inflation. The cashback on my direct debits (just over £6pm) more than covers the £2 monthly fee and I get 2.4% (3% less tax) interest on top of that.

Use their 123 credit card and I get 1% cashback on supermarket spending and 3% on petrol.

Then they need to send him back for re-education! He's letting the customer down.