OT ICE engined cars to be banned in Netherlands?

As I have been trying to tell someone else, in a discussion elsewhere.

He claims that I am wrong and the breakthroughs (as there needs to be more than one) really are just around the corner this time.

tim

Reply to
tim...

On 21-Aug-16 11:13 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote: ...

Only 6% of all car trips are more than 25 miles, although that 6% represents almost half the mileage done in cars. The problem is that many people who mostly do shorter journeys also occasionally want to do very much longer trips. My car was bought with driving long distance across Europe in mind, rather than the far more common local travel.

Reply to
Nightjar

You could easily have a locked on cover .

Reply to
charles

I've had my current car 3 years

up until last week it had only ever done 25 miles each way to work and the occasional (only slightly longer) trips to my sister

Last week it went on a 1000 mile round trip op norf for the weekend (we were due to go in someone else's car but he got sick and had to drop out).

Was a bitch of a drive, I hated it :-(

tim

Reply to
tim...

Lockable charge plugs....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In this case I can say that of all the greenybollox spouted, this one is, with heat pumps, the closest to being a realistic option.

Lithium air batteries have the theoretical energy density, but are impossible to make meet other specs like cost and safety right now.

1000 mile range might be possible. Since most people don't do that much in a month, fast charge wouldn't then be so important.,
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

[27 lines snipped]

Which is why Teslas, at least, have locks to prevent this.

(Not that I'm defending electric cars in general or Tesla in particular. I think they're stupid at the present level of technology & infrastructure.)

Reply to
Huge

Very big difference between installing a few charging points and enough for if all cars are electric. With the first, the existing main cabling (under the roads) will be adequate. With the second, not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had very much in mind the second. I can't see it working then without marked parking bays (which leads to a big reduction in parking capacity). And with islands between those for pedestrians to cross (which reduces capacity further) else blind pedestrians will have problems crossing the road. Or perhaps a market for combined long cane and well-insulated cutters capable of munching armoured cables :)

And after all that I still predict a lot of trips.

Perhaps overhead cables with remote controls to drop/retract the cable on demand? And bring back trolley buses while about it?

Reply to
Robin

Perfectly possible to underground megawatts of cables

At 33Kv its only 30A per megawatt.

spread over three cables

At 20MW its 600A. Not impossible.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, but my point was how do you get the power into the cars without cables which people will trip over?

The only solution to that currently is inductive charging but that means (a) even more precise delineation of parking spaces so cars can park with their receivers above the transmitters and (b) at present slow charging - I think at around 3kW.

Reply to
Robin

Why would people trip over a short length of cable at waist height?

Look even if we are going for 100KW at 240v that's only 400A. Not massively think. Car booster cable grade.

But it's more likely you would go up a bit in voltage.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They come with a slow speed charging lead that goes into a 13a socket. Mine draws Kw2.2

Reply to
harry

Why do you drivel on about your theories? The facts are right here.

Electric cars are beyond this point already.

Reply to
harry

The answer is simple. You hire a car for occasional long journeys. Or go by train.

Reply to
harry

Already fitted to electric cars. But not vandal proof.

Reply to
harry

That's ok, because most petrol cars don't do that. Mine does 250. Ok I don't drive carefully, but there's no way it would do 700.

The only problem with electric is you can't charge them in 5 minutes.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I used to hire cars when I flew to my place in the South of France. It was never a good option. I was very much at the mercy of the hire company as to what cars they used and occasionally they didn't have the class of car I had booked, leaving me to drive around in a shoe box. Even when I got a Jaguar XF as a courtesy car while my car was in for accident repairs last year, it wasn't particularly satisfactory.

A very poor option. You need to get too and from the station at each end with luggage and, in my case, a partner with mobility problems. To minimise the problems, you need to pack light, which has never been a problem with an estate car. Also, last time we went to Paris by Eurostar, on both trips there were screaming children running up and down the train.

Reply to
Nightjar

On 21-Aug-16 8:59 PM, harry wrote: ...

Provided, according to the information given, you are willing to forego effective air conditioning, accept a mediocre acceleration and drive relatively slowly.

Reply to
Nightjar

Hiring a vehicle always seems to end up costing much more than the headline price. Rather like air fairs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)