OT Ice Bear Knives

Last June (2007) TMH posted here that he wanted another Ice Bear knife - but the thread then discussed them being in and out of stock/catalogue/etc.

I am just thinking about getting a modest ceramic bladed knife - primarily for extensive fruit usage. And thought I would ask a few questions.

Are ceramic blades good?

Are Ice Bear good knives?

Did TMH get his 'another' knife?

Did you know that, at Axminster, the Ice Bear fruit knife is currently on at 22.34 (usual 32.25)? (The only one of the range, I think, at special price.)

Are there any other recommendations for make, model and supplier?

Obviously, all opinions are welcome - not just TMH's. :-)

Reply to
Rod

They stay sharp. They are brittle. Take note of what it says "indestructible in normal use", don't drop it.

Reply to
dennis

I bought two Ice Bear ceramic knives and eventually gave them away. The blades were quite thick and relatively inflexible. Actually, they felt rather light and insubstantial in the hand - 'cheap' even. The need to take extra care with them got in the way of the task in hand and they ended up as kitchen gadget clutter.

They just didn't cut it for me. (Pun intended.) YMMV.

Reply to
JonH

Very sharp. Very.

I think so.

No, I'd forgotton that some said Axminster had them back. Prolly get one now.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks folks. Now you have put me into a quandary. I do like a knife with heft. But if they are sharp as said... mmmm... mmm...

Reply to
Rod