OT? I need a PC soundcard with 'line-out' ..

Hi All,

Possibly not strictly DIY but I am trying to do something myself but would like some help please? I have asked on more subject specific list but haven't had much luck yet.. ;-(

I recently upgraded my PC and video card and the card comes with TV out. This is presented on a non-standard S-Video plug but they provide an adaptor to give composite video and that works fine into my Video then TV. I also need to run the audio (if playing a DVD from the PC etc) and as I don't believe it is provided by the video card (the extra pins on the S-Video connector?) I need to take it from the sound card.

However the std onboard AC97 sound system on this (and most) system boards only has a single unamplified speaker type output that would require me to swap leads between the speakers and the TV feed (not a real issue there ..I could even add an extra output to my headphone / speaker switch box) but the level wouldn't be constant as with a 'line-out' (eg volume would be effected by the mixer).

So, is anyone aware of a basic (I don't want / need optical or digital output, 5.1 etc) sound card that offers line-out alongside the std mic, line in and speaker connections please?

Thanks for your time ..

T i m

p.s. I'm running XP Pro and the new video card is a Sapphire Radeon

9600 Atlantis (ATI)

p.p.s. For those older members on this list I had a Gravis Ultrasound and Orchid Soundwave 32, both had line out (but both are ISA cards) ;-(

Reply to
T i m

But didn't this line out change with the mixer too?

From my experience, the volume of the amplified output and line level output both changed with the mixer on the screen - the amplified "speaker" output was just a small amplifier connected to the line out.

All soundcards I have ever seen have variable line outputs (the mixer is just adjusting the preamp on the card

Could you get a second sound card, then make sure you don't change the levels on this? (Then route your DVD Player software to output audio to this second card)

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Why don't you split the feed from your soundcard and run one to the speakers and one to the TV via a 3.5 mm to composite audio plug? I got the splitter from eBay and the cable from Wilkinsons. Or is there more to it and this is what you don't want to do?

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus Fox

Hi Sparks .. you may well be right .. (it was a long time ago now) .. or maybe they had their own independant mixer fader that wouldn't get moved unless you chose to do it manuallly?

Makes sense .. but as I said (and from memory) the Gravis Ultrasound and Orchid Soundwave 32 cards were very good cards in their day and I believe 'missing' the feature when I went to the SB range of cards (just for 'compatibility' reasons)..?

Good thinking .. and I have briefly Googled this. It seems two PCI sound cards (and possibly from different manufacturers) are easier to get working than one PCI card and the onboard one?

Maybe I'll give it a go as I have a SB live 1024 somewhere .. ;-)

All the best and thanks ...

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Hi Marcus .. yes .. that is sorta what I want to do but I didn't want the level to be affected by say a game etc.

I think I remember the older sound cards I had having two actual outputs, one being amplified to drive passive speakers and the volume being changed by the 'master output' volume slider and a 'line-out' that stayed at the same level all the time (it may have just had it's own level slider but it wouldn't be affected by the volume settings within (say) a game).

A second sound card may well provide what I'm looking for and also potentially allow simultaneous playing a DVD to the TV and using the PC for something else? That wasn't really what I wanted to do but is something that could be done with two cards that you couldm't do with one (that I know of)?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

ATI based card then ;-)

No, the S-Video connector does not have audio. It has the video signal split out into separate chroma and luma components though.

Line-out almost always will be affected by the mixer in two ways. The master volume control will change its level, along with the speaker out, and the individual input levelers will also abviously affect the final mix.

The main difference between the speaker and "real" line-out connectors other than the level will be the impedance matching.

A PCI soundlaster live OEM will give you the connectors you want (if not the fixed level) for a tenner.

Rather like my nice Teratec sitting on a shelf... ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

;-)

I know the 'std' 4 pin S-Video connector carrys such but this has more pins and no description of the pinout in the manual (that I can find) ?

I don't know why but I thought I remembered the master out *not* affecting the Line out on my older (better) card (or cards)? You could hook it up to a pair or amplified speakers and play with (at least) the o/p slider and nothing would change ..? 1V p2p (or summat) all the time ..?

Ok ..

What a line out AND speaker out John? .. any chance of a link to such please ?

.. I was having a sort though all my kit the other day and loads of stuff I was hanging onto because they were handy / worth something are now not / worthless ... like several AHA 1540's, 100M Zip drives, 2G DAT drives etc etc .. I even found a realy old SB with onboard volume control!

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

On most modern cards, the line out and the speaker out are the same.

The voltages (and response to volume control) were always the same, it's just that the speaker out could supply more current. Most manufacturers have saved cost by just merging the two and not having a low current output.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

So it seems Christian .. at least it saves having a splitter ;-)

I understand the onboard audio amp concept but I'm pretty sure one or both of my two older cards had a line out that stayed pretty constant irrespective of the output volume control. The inputs made a difference yes .. but the line out was there all the time irrespective ..?

Most manufacturers have

Indeed, requiring the use of amplified speakers etc. As it happens I built a little switch box years ago that presents both audio out and mic in on the desktop. A changover mini toggle switch feeds the audio two different pots (2 and different log values) that in turn feed two

3.5mm chassis sockets for speakers and headphones. The mic socket just passes through to the back of the PC.

So, I'm watching telly on the PC via the speakers and she get's a phone call I just flick the switch ober to headphones and adjust the volume knob suitably, leaving the mixer output settings alone and on maximum ;-)

I know you can buy the switch boxes now but not seen one with a volume control(s) (and it's a lot quicker / easier than pluging the headphones into the speakers that carry a headphone socket as my box allows volume levels to be set for speakers and phones independantly?).

Maybe I'll just extend that box with a third output and that can be connected to the TV out cable set?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I had several sound cards from several manufacturers (including one of the very first AWE32s) over the years until my motherboards starting coming with AC97s on board. Every single one had the line out varied with the master volume.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Rootle out the manual for your motherboard (or find it on web) - my onboard AC97 has a molex-type header additional front-panel connections, including line out. Al

Reply to
Al, Cambridge, UK

You won't readily find one either - I remeber contacting their tech support people to see if I could get the pinout for that connector. No joy, although they would sell me a made up lead for 30 quid or so!

It is possible - just not the comon practice on any card I have played with recently. You may find the SPDIF out on some cards is fixed level (although event that would be affected by attenuation settings on the inputs to the card)

Well sort of! Line certainly, but most modern cards that do 5.1 surround and above do not include any onboard amplification. They also tend to dynamically repurpose the various sockets on the card depending on number of speakers you tell it you have. Having said that, if you are stuck with a choice of either line or speaker out then line is probably best since it is easy to amplify it later if required.

For example:

had a look about at prices... I will do a govenment style "clarification" here on the "about a tenner" bit, and point out that was the sort of trade price I pay less VAT! Best retail deal would be something like:

you want flexibility of several audio outs then one of the Audigy offerings may be a better bet, since they have the extra connector/mixer box. These are a fir bit more pricy though...

.. I was having a sort though all my kit the other day and

;-) Yup, Must admit I have started binning things like old "ditto" 2GB tape streamers. I have a Soundblaster AWE 64 Gold somewhere as well that I seem to recall was not cheap when new. Just another ISA card ornament now.

Reply to
John Rumm

That's nice of them ;-)

Agreed ..

You may find the SPDIF out on some cards is fixed level

Agreed ;-)

Well, I have the SB 1024 Live somewhere ...

Sorry John, my fault .. when .. when I said 'speaker out' I really meant two outputs ;-) I don't actually need a amplified output (although it might drive headphones better?)

Having said that, if you are

Agreed ;-(

Thanks for the links John. As you say, nearly all the cards above 'basic' have several 'outs' but not in the format I need (maybe I'm looking for the holy grail?)

That's progress for ya John? So, landfill or try to make some fancy murals with them?

All the best

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Fair enough Christian. Just in case we are at crossed purposes here ... my earlier, good quality (non SB) sound cards (or at least one) had amplified speaker out and unamplified line out. The speaker out changed with the output mixer and the line out didn't ...?

Or maybe I was just thrown by the excitement of it all at the time .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Now there's a thought .. I wonder if it's just another tapping off the existing line/speaker out or another (driven) output (ie from a different chip)? If it's the same point then I might as well just split the existing connector, if not then I might make up a header to a modified blanking panel with a couple of phono sockets or summat (this full height tower has no built in front access sound / USB ports).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

The extra pins on the s-video connecor are the composite signals, the card allows you to run both out at the same time, there is a lead that has the

6pin connector on one end and a composite and s-video connector in the other. If this is just for dvd playing wouldn't a cheap (
Reply to
ThePunisher

Understood. I was sorta forced to look at it from the other direction in that it comes with a S-V > composite adaptor and S-V can be accessed if you buy their (non standard) lead / adaptor?

If this is just for dvd playing wouldn't a cheap (be better?

Yes (and I have that) .. ;-)

RGB video and DIVX, and save the hassle of booting your pc every

And although the picture I have seen is 'ok' it'd not 'good' ;-) The sort of thing I'll probably end up using it for is showing the missus 'funny' video's etc to save her having to get off her ... well you know the rest ;-)

I've read about that somewhere .. I think my home DVD player may have 'Mackrel Vision defeat' may it? ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m