OT: I hate ECO

These things are due to narrow criteria for design, I suspect. IE they start with the parts they can get cheaply, then they give them all to the designer and they have to make the most eco friendly products they can. No you cannot use an old fashioned switch, they are no good as they need wiring up, no you cannot alter this engine, its got to be used in lots of models, etc etc. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Fair enough I could have put "killed" in scare-quotes, or said denatured, though people talk of lead "killing" catalytic converters too ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , Tim Streater writes

OK, kill is not technically the right word, but they are proteins, and as such will be denatured (their shape changes, and they stop working) if they get to hot (generally above 40C).

I don't know about the enzymes like to start cold, but they will happily owrk at the colder temp to start with (though slower) and improve in action as the water warms - (until it gets to hot).

AIUI Even hot programs will start off with a cooler start temp for a bit to enable the enzymes to work first

Reply to
Chris French

Of course you can have better insulation and bigger net capacity. They are still using the old foamed insulation because its cheap. They could build one with aerogel insulation or glass vacuum panels if they wanted more net space and better insulation. But is there any market for them?

Reply to
dennis

My Samsung has a cold wash, but you have to press a button after setting the dial to the wash you want. You probably need a liquid detergent if using cold as the powders take longer to mix in cold.

Reply to
dennis

Presumably they are Beko freezers, if you have a serious concern about them catching fire and if you don't have the shed heated. Most freezers sold in the UK (Beko being an exception) are climate class SN and are designed to operate in temperatures between 10C and 32C.

Reply to
Nightjar

Panasonic do a fridge freezer using vacuum insulation.

Probably, in the long term, particularly if the EU keeps introducing restrictions on appliance energy use.

Reply to
Nightjar

You twist the knob until the ice tray is nearly upside down - and then keep twisting past the stop. This distorts the tray and so the cubes separate from the tray. Otherwise they stay stuck in.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You'll have to ask the missus. 3 compartments for different things. Bottom compartment is milk + bread. Not big enough.

As I said, new ECO freezer holds only about 80% of previous (non-eco) freezer. External dimensions identical.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Tried that and variations. But we are happy without it, we have the extra space, which we use for a bag of ice from the shop. No fiddling required.

Each to his own.

Reply to
Davey

My Astra CDTI has only 30 quid a year tax due to its ECO features. The main ECO features seem to be stop/start and reduced throttle performance (!). T here is an ECO button which comes on by default when the ignition is starte d. I switch if off after starting the car. However, the ECO features which I switch off get me cheap car tax (previous car was 250 quid or so), and a more rugged starter motor and battery. All good !

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

ISE does and states that it's only for use v. close to the source of HW - oh, it's the Eco model (sorry).

Reply to
PeterC

And a detergent that is transparent too. Some of the liquid detergents which you can't see through are basically the dry detergent mixed with a little water so it can be poured and are just as hard to dissolve completely in cold water as the dry detergent and can be a real problem with detergent scum with very dark fabrics.

Reply to
john james

I don't recall seeing any instructions saying this?

Rinses have always been cold, so are you suggesting that detergents have always precipitate out onto clothes?

Do you have any authoritative links / sources?

Reply to
Fredxxx

(can't find original post)

Our Bosch has its own timer so that you can set a programme 'end time'. So it's easy to use Economy 7. It is however a Logiixx model.

Reply to
Bob Eager

My hybrid Jazz (£10 tax) has an eco button too. The salesman said "You might as well leave it in eco" and my unspoken thought was "balls", but in fact I think he was right. There's also a sports setting on the auto gearbox which basically seems to keep the revs a bit higher and I don't use that either.

The combination of continuously variable transmission and battery assist make it quite nippy when you give it welly on twisty / hilly bits. And it out-drags quite a lot of things off the lights (as a five series in the wrong lane found out to his annoyance the other day).

Reply to
newshound

Yeah, I can't say I have seen any saying that either.

I had to work that out for myself.

I'm not talking about precipitating out, I am talking about the detergent dissolving in the water completely during the initial wash.

No. But it isn't hard to see which detergents dissolve properly, just try it with no clothes at all and have a look at the end of the wash, before it is pumped out.

Reply to
john james

But unfortunately it rolls backwards on slopes when in drive. Which is why she didn't buy one. Torque converter auto boxes don't suffer from this IME.

Reply to
Capitol

You need to get organised.

My sheds have cooling vents and this particular one is shaded from the sun.

Nor have any of mine. Nor have I ever been killed in a car crash, or had a piano fall on my head.

They all do. They have motors. You might be a bit deaf perhaps, or have a noisy kitchen?

No, sensible.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Nightjar Presumably they are Beko freezers, if you have a serious concern about

As it happens they are, but the reason I'm wary is because I have heard of house fires been caused by fridges and freezers.

It has been -9 here and the freezers have been OK. In winter they rarely run, yet maintain -18. This saves a fortune in leccy.

They are very big and would take up a lot of space in the house.

I have the washing machines in a utility room rather than the kitchen. I only run them when I'm at home, and they have smoke detectors immediately above, on a house-wide linked system.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright