[OT] HP Microserver cashback - gone?

Seems the £100 cashback (or whatever it was) is gone.

Is it likely to come back? I have a feeling this cashback went on forever - but I'm not sure if HP randomly pull it then reannounce it later...

If not, I will see if I can buy through work as we have an HP discount - but even so, the cashback was a better deal...

Reply to
Tim Watts

It often disappears for a month or two...

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Wednesday 16 October 2013 12:29 Bob Eager wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Ah ha - I shall sit this one out... Thanks Bob!

BTW - anyone got the latest Western Digital "My Book Live" NAS (2 or 3TB):

I read on the web that the "My Book Live" series run a slightly buggerated Debian with root SSH still available without hacking and the repositories are enabled to allow anythin more or less to be installed.

Just wanted to check that the latest one has not changed this?

I have an old WD NAS of a similar type and the disk is throwing SMART errors. That had a funny ARM/OpenWRT type linux, but you could add the optware repo and it has served me well for running rsnapshot backups.

For the price of the disk, I might as well get a new NAS ws my current one only has 100Mbit ethernet (it save my life once, but took a week to restore everything!)

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'd be very interested to know this too. I also have an old[ish] WD backup NAS which allows ssh access and I too use optware to add rsync etc.

It's got to die some time and I'll need a replacement.

Reply to
cl

I *just* got in at the end of the last cashback offer at the end of June. It does come and go and I think the cashback amount can vary, either £50 or £100. The cashback that ended in June was £100.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

ServersPlus were advertising it recently but I think it was to clear out the remaining stock of the old model. The new model HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 is slightly different, has a CD drive, (unnecessary in my view and less space for another HD) and fewer usb ports on the front.

I suspect the offer will be back in time.

Reply to
djc

On Wednesday 16 October 2013 14:27 Dave Liquorice wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Wednesday 16 October 2013 14:38 djc wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Thanks djc :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

If it really IS a "CD" drive, then - yep - massively un-necessary...

Reply to
Adrian

Probably trying to cash in by making maximum profits over Christmas sales.

Expect to wait 'til the New Year.

Reply to
Java Jive

dennis

The cash-back was being offered in Ireland a week or so ago by Elara.

I don't understand why HP offer a cash-back, as the micro-server is very cheap to start with, and seems to sell well without the cash-back.

I have two of them, in different places, and have been very happy with them. They've both been running non-stop for about 2 years. My only moan would be that there is very little space for extra cards. I have a second ethernet card, and as far as I can see there is no room for a second card. Is that right?

Incidentally, is there a mailing list or forum devoted to this machine?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

turion-2-2-2gb-250gb->

That would be why I bought two in November and one in December last year, with cashback, then.

Reply to
Bob Eager

All of mine have an extra Ethernet interface. Small Intel half height card, about 23 quid from Amazon.

Reply to
Bob Eager

And mine and there is a empty slot. The motherboard has a PCIe x1 and a PCIe x16 connector.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well, its maybe DVD, but still not needed: a USB stick has more capacity, is reliably rewriteable, and fits in a pocket.

OTOH, the new model microserver will officially take up to 16GB of memory, and is a bit faster so I may upgrade if the cachback offer is revived.

Reply to
djc

Usually due to a large stock which isn't selling fast enough to be exhausted by the time the product is obsolete or worth too little to be worth trying to sell anymore.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , Timothy Murphy writes

Initially it was thought (with the first model) that they had over- produced and needed to shift a warehouse full of the things, but that can't be the case as they have included the cashback with new, updated models since.

don't forget the cost of adding drives and an OS if you go with a non- free alternative. It runs CentOS very well.

Upgrading the memory is also a good idea.

I took out the useless 250GB drive and fitted an SSD in the optical bay for the OS.

Me too, I use mine as a media server and for backup.

Cracking little machine for the price.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Thanks for the responses.

As I mentioned, I already have one PCIe x16 installed, connected to a WiFi router. (The in-built ethernet interface is connected to an ADSL modem/router.) I haven't looked recently - I'll check today - but as I recall this only leaves a PCIe x1 slot, and I haven't seen any PCIe x1 cards with the MiFi function I'm looking for. (I'd like to have a mobile backup for my servers.)

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

On Thursday 17 October 2013 09:43 Mike Tomlinson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Nice - couple of notes of caution:

Which SSD and are you watching the Media_Wearout_Indicator SMART attribute?

eg:

smartctl -a /dev/sdb

Does your IO stack support TRIM and are you running "fstrim" periodically? Apparantly it's important to aid the SSD in managing itself optimally.

I have just done a lot of research after having been burnt by a Corsair SSD that when t*ts up after a few months.

This time I went for a Sandisk Extreme II 240GB (and a 120GB for another little ITX PC).

I chose them because the long term reviews seemed better than anyone else in their class with the exception of Intel 520s or Intel SLCs (which are way out of my price range).

5 year warranty and a stated number of 3000 erase cycles, which doesn't seem a lot, but with the wear levelling algorithm Sandisk claim it equates to 80TB of writes which even for a desktop is many years unless you do something silly.

And the Sandisk is damn fast - well it maxes out the SATAII interface anyway... The Corsair was a dog - slower than a spinning disk.

Reply to
Tim Watts