OT How to install a Google search on an individual site

I keep seeing sites that have a Google search box just for that individual site. I've tried searching Google to see how to do it, and even copied code from other sites, without success. It seems that sites with a Google box have to register with Google, but I'm failing miserably to learn how it works.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
News

JFGI?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

News :

It's harder than you might think but not that hard really. Start here:

Mike Barnes

I have one on an test site and looking at the code there is no registration code(s) like there are for Google Ads. A quick google shows that they are as keen as ever to harvest contact information for a login and get money out of you. I might have got the code via AdSense but "my browser is no longer supported get Chrome". Boy am I getting to loath Google.

But a google on a line from the code found this:

returns something similar to the code I have but mine doesn't lock people out who don't have JavaScript. Still works.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No registration needed.

Search blah:

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

That's OK but AFAICS there's no facility to customise the results page to match your site's design. Which might or might not matter to the OP. It matters to me for the sites I look after, so I use the full CSE, which AFAIK does require registration. Registration is free and hassle- free (no spam).

Reply to
Mike Barnes

In message , Man at B&Q writes

That is brilliant. Thank you. Actually, the code is perfect, but the results a little less so, but that is partly the way Google works, and partly the way the site is written. I'll have to make more effort to correctly caption images etc.

Having read a few other answers, for which thanks, the key phrase I missed was custom search, when trying to find the answer myself. Using Google, everything depends on the exact words or phrase input.

My HTML knowledge is extremely basic, but adequate for a hobby site. I'll experiment a little, and see what happens.

Reply to
News