OT: How to get rid of CDs?

Another OT question I'm afraid:

My son (now abroad) has said I should "get rid" of all the CDs he dumped on us when he left University. There must be 2 or 3 hundred. He seems to think I could sell many of them [for him]. Are there such people as CD dealers? Difficult to google for this concept.

I don't want to donate all to charity (*just yet*) -- partly because I wouldn't wish the task of sorting through them on anyone. And I certainly don't want to take them to the tip.

J.

Reply to
Another John

Put them somewhere safe. Then, in ten years' time, hand them back to him. He'll be pleased.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

He's a cheeky bu88er.

"Sell" them all to a charity shop for a quid and charge him 99p as your handling fee. There are quiet times in charity shops, so the people there can spend some time browsing through them & sort out any they (or their friends/family etc.) might like.

Offer to invest his proceeds for him.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

You can upload the details on some websites, they will offer a price, provide a container/courier collection. You don't have to accept the price but I think they do have a minimum offer so you should be able to shift everything. here's one

but there are others if you look.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

...otherwise known as Cex or Computer Exchange. There might be a branch near you.

You might want to Google for music magpie and Zoverstocks before you use them

Google for "sell cds" and I'm sure you'll find a few more. They won't pay much but if you want to get rid of them in one fell swoop, it's the easy way to do it.

Reply to
mike

I've used MusicMagpie to get shot of a load of CDs as has a friend I recommended them to. Money for old rope if they're only going to be given away or thrown as, although they give piddly amounts per disc, if you've got a big boxful it adds up to enough to make the exercise worthwhile.

Also, as they price each one, anything that gets more than a minimal amount can be checked against eBay to see if it's worth flogging separately for a fiver upwards.

The only downside is that they're automatic reselling thing on Amazon (Zoverstocks) hammers other sellers.

Reply to
Scott M

Hmm... Thanks for highlighting that.

Like this workaround from a competitor, mentioned in above MSE thread

"I have noticed that one playtrader on there has got around Zoverstocks

1p cheaper policy by offering a "FREE 2p COIN ! I AM THE CHEAPEST ! yes, you will receive a genuine British two pence coin with this item! which you can spend in any shop!" lol "
Reply to
Adrian C

Well -- my thoughts exactly Bill, given my own discovery, at age 40, in my Dad's loft of stuff I'd thought had been lost 20 or 30 years before. However, these things weigh heavy, and i don't want to add them to the groaning boards of my loft (much of it groaning because of other crap of his!

I'll be looking at musicmagpie thanks folks.

John

Reply to
Another John

En el artículo , Another John escribió:

Going rate is 50p per CD at car boot sales near me. Assuming you sell half of the 300, that's 75 quid. Give what's left over (i.e. what no one wants) to a charity shop.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Well, I guess you could sell them. Does not sound like too many to me. One has to do some work for some gain after all.

In the end you may have to go the charity route. At least you know its a good cause then.

On the other hand, I guess you could set up a lending library.. grin. I like CDs I still buy them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Sell them individually? Hundreds of 'em? On Ebay or something? My dear chap: I just haven't the time! I'm retired!!!

John

Reply to
Another John

I have a couple of films. I watch them maybe every 10 years.

I have a _load_ of CDs. I probably play them all several times a year.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I have a load of CD's, counted once over 600 of them. A purchasing habit that cost me about thousand pounds a year.

Then I found Spotify Premium streaming ;-)

Reply to
Adrian C

I prefer the original quality at linear PCM rates thanks:)....

Reply to
tony sayer

Studio tapes?

Reply to
Adrian C

Which don't sound anywhere near as good as live music. IMO.

Some recordings that I've made get pretty close, thoug.

Reply to
John Williamson

Nice:)...

Preferably the multi track masters so I can do the main mix down on my ex Neve Capricorn desk:))...

Reply to
tony sayer