OT How They Dug the Victoria Line

Not DIY but bound to be of interest to some here

ARW

ARW scribbled...

Did they by an chance use a TBM?

Anyone who watches the Discovery channel must have watched hours and hours of TBM footage. I was on a train pulling into Paddington station last year when a kid shouted to his dad that there was a TBM in the sidings. Oddly, no one was filming it.

Reply to
Jabba

Mmm 'programme unavailable'

:*(

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Perhaps that was because it was , boring? Boom Boom. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

BBC I player is shot to hell this week. My blind use client no longer works, and trying to get it to work from the site is hit and miss and there are loads of radio programs which are usually there, not there. The BBC cannot leave well alone and to coin a phrase, all web site tweakers who try and fix stuff that is not broken will be first against the wall when the revolution comes. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Its playing ok now

Reply to
Bob H

No hard hats, not safety harnesses, no safety barriers, no warning notices, men riding in buckets up and down the shafts.

Those were the days when you could just get on with the job.

Reply to
Bob H

On 18 May 2014, Bob H grunted:

...and stand a good chance of getting killed or serioudly injured in the process.

It's very trendy to sneer at current H&S regs, but how many entirely preventable serioud accidents do you suppose there were during that project?

For comparison, just consider the stats for the construction of the World Cup stadiums in Brazil, and compare them to the Olympic stadiums built in the UK a couple of years ago.

Fatalities *so far* in Brazil: 8. In the United "Health and Safety" Kingdom? Zero.

Reply to
Lobster

Yes certainly. Incidentally, I did manage to get it to play, unlike some others here. the trick with that link is to maximise the Outlook Express window, or one suppposes whichever reader you have, otherwise it seems to insert a dodgy character in the link.

I did kind of lose the will to live attempting to find the embedded object which is the player though, then there seemed to be no buttons hearable, so I had to faff about with non targetted screen reader to find them. Thanks BBC. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not for me, you pommes wont let any one else see stuff.

Reply to
F Murtz

Enjoyed that, thanks.

Reply to
Adrian C

Nor me & I'm a resident!

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

The stream crashed Firefox totally here at about 25 minutes in. Restarting FF got everything back up, though.

F Murtz and any other non-UK residents here, have you tried using a UK proxy server with iPlayer?

Reply to
John Williamson

As it used to say in the Yellow Pages,

Boring: see Civil Engineers

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

Hear, hear.

No PPE, smoking on the job, embarrassingly antiquated "automation" (are the VL trains still automated?) no computers (I assume it was all designed on drawing boards by draughtsmen?) I enjoyed the mention of slide rules, which we discussed here recently. The rather scary bit at the end about how the world of "1984" and "Brave New World" is upon us.

Reply to
Huge

Ah

BBC sayeth...

'The following devices are currently experiencing such serious bugs with video downloads that we have been forced to disable this feature:

Device Acer Iconia Tab A1-810 Acer Iconia Tab B1-710 Asus MeMo Pad 7 ....'

That'll be me f***ed then.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I wonder if anyone watching that recognised the presenter, who doesn't appear to get a credit. I remember him mainly as regular on the "Tonight" programme (Cliff Michelmore etc) but it seems he was a film and TV actor as well.

There's a short 5 minute Pathe film on Youtube covering mainly the underground bits

Pathe put most of their archive on Youtube about four weeks ago, a treasure trove for nostalgia buffs.

michael adams

michael adams

How dare you interject with such irrelevant details. It's every working man's right to choose to be killed and maimed horribly rather than be forced to wear hivis and a hardhat, don'cha know?

Reply to
Adrian

I'm just downloading it with get_iplayer here - I could chuck it on Dropbox for a day or two if it'd help.

Reply to
Adrian

He gets a credit on the programme website Oops! And I got his second name wrong as he wasn't an actor at all.

Reply to
michael adams