OT - how do you make a long url appear at the receiver?

Hi,

I want to send this:

only the 1st line gets highlighted, and i dont think the receiver will think to copy and paste the second line onto the url in the browser?

Many Thanks

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Use a shorter link.

Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Reply to
Mr Fixit

In message , Richard Faulkner wrote

Enclose the URL within angle brackets

<
Alan

Depends on your mail client, but you probably need to turn off automatic line folding/wrapping or whatever it calls it.

You could also try prefixing it with URL: and enclosing in angle brackets which is proper RFC way of specifying URLs, e.g.

and that might even work if it gets broken in the middle (not checked the RFC to see if thats supposed to work), but let's deliberately break it here, and people can report if it appears as a single clickable URL...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Or you can use

to shorten it. How long do tiny urls last - are they deleted at intervals or what, anybody know?

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
owdman

They will if they know how...

Visit

are other similar services about but some are heavyly linked into data harvesting sites.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Works every time! ;-)

Reply to
SimonJ

Use

simply copy and paste the long URL, to get a nice compact one. You can also install a link into IE, so that when you click on the link it automatically puts the new url into your clipboard, ready for pasting.

You do of course get the occasional paranoid, who wont click on redirect links, in case they send you to

or somesuch!!

Reply to
SimonJ

Tried

but it doesn't seem to work.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
owdman

Bugger, neither can I get it to connect :-(

No cheers,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

If you actually visit tinyurl you will read:

Welcome to TinyURL!?

Are you sick of posting URLs in emails only to have it break when sent causing the recipient to have to cut and paste it back together? Then you've come to the right place. By entering in a URL in the text field below, we will create a tiny URL that will not break in email postings and never expires. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And if you ask it to tinify a uri it's already done it appears to give you the number it's already thought of (IYSWIM).

With a modern browser you can install a little javascript to your toolbar (from tiny's home page) which will automatically tinify the uri of any page you are looking at.

And if you don't like tiny (though I can't conceive why) there's also snipurl.com and makeashorterlink.com.

Douglas de Lacey.

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

Have you watched where the redirects take your browser after you have clicked on a tinyurl. It ain't straight to the site you go via one if not more data harvesting sites first.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Works fine. Cheers, Andrew. Been wondering about that for a while but didn't expect the answer on here

Reply to
Stuart Noble

IIRC you can configure tinyurl.com at its website so it will tell you what site you're about to be redirected to, before it sends you there.

David

Reply to
Lobster

What are the actual implications of that?

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Mr Fixit writes

That's what I was looking for. Many thanks to you and anyone else who replied.

I dont really like the tinyurl solution as it could be hiding a url you dont want to go to.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Ever tried random tiny URL's?

Type

followed by any random group of 3-5 numbers and letters, see where it gets you! Great fun, would recommend you have scripting switched off in your browser first though.

Reply to
SimonJ

What do these do that is so harmful?

Reply to