OT: How come no one has mentioned...

NIgel Mansell and Nelson Piquet in Indy carz.

Estimated in the 200g.

Check also the Rocket sled boys. They TESTED them up to > 100g.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've SEEN a full racing mini with proper safety gear hit a 6ft deep tyrewall backed by a concrete wall, at 70mph..and the driver..after two seconds of what looked like concussion, got out and walked away.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Incorrect for one in a million is irrelevant. There is a finite chance of surviving a 25,000 ft fall but nobody would claim that they would survive.

I stated facts, you are the one that hasn't come up with a single good argument yet.

Reply to
dennis

Only about 50G assuming no crush zone and no driver movement within the car. They have crush zones and shock absorbers in the belts so somewhat less.

Reply to
dennis

All the G data snipped

That's interesting

Now that is very interesting. FIL got knocked down by a car that was just leaving a junction, so the car must have been doing a little bit more than 5 MPH and he got up and walked away and he was 75 when that happened.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Forget the smoker and ask a Volvo driver :-(

Dave

Reply to
Dave

And significantly higher figures. On fast jets there is a device to measure the number of the g that has been pulled. This is supposed to be checked on every landing and recorded, but before it flies again. Also, the crew will be wearing anti G suits that inflate and squeeze the lower half of the body, to prevent loss of blood to the brain. It works by having a valve centred that will be opened by a weight when G is sensed, the bigger the G number, the more the valve opens. The crew plug their anti G suit into the ejection seat to connect to a high pressure air supply.

About 30 years ago, we had an aircraft doing anti spin trials and it ended up with one wing 3 or 4 inches higher than the opposing one. Think of the G that pulled that wing out of place. Needless to say, it was switched to other duties after that.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Well you can tell how dumb they were from the advert where the Volvo crashed head first into the ground. Now that makes all the weight irrelevant and it all comes down to secondary safety. Volvos like that were poor. If it happened to me I wouldn't have wanted to be in a Volvo of the time, a Vauxhall Nova would have been much safer. It really shows how dumb advertisers think people are, and from the sales they appear to have got it right.

Reply to
dennis

The odds of survival at 100g are significantly better than that. Plenty of rocket sled experimenters can testify to that.

No you stated something incorrect as if it were fact.

A fact is absolute - hence any survival above 100g would prove it false.

Hence it is unarguably false.

When in a hole, stop digging.

Reply to
John Rumm

I would expect survivability at 5 mph to be pretty good (90%+) unless you are unlucky enough to hit something hard (windscreen wiper mounting point being one of the worst). With good car design you can make even

30mph impact speed doable. You need gentle curves, soft panels and no hard protrusions to roll the body over the car and spread the impact.
Reply to
John Rumm

Maybe you should read some old documents?

dennis

Exit any 4 x4 with bull bars then :-(

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That is why roo bars are banned on new cars. Just the correct height for killing kids.

Reply to
dennis

Ok - They didn't all go back up afterwards.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

typo: should have been 35mph. Sorry.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Poor bugger died about 5 years later :-(

Thanks for the reply. I feel that much safer crossing the roads now :-))

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Well don't. I was only 13 when I saw an old dear step straight out in front of a rover. Cartwheel of flying knickers..car had hit the brakes and impact speed at inquest was reckoned to be < 20mph.

Watched her die in the road. Broken neck..and blood out the ears. Always a bad sign.

Good education though.

Modern cars are a bit softer and rounder, but even so...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Best one I personally know of was a friend who drove into a car on an unlit road at about 60mph. He turned up a few days later with lots of scabs on his knuckles, so we asked how he`d got them. Him and the wife ducked in time, but his hands got trapped between the steering wheel and the roof! Car wasn`t too healthy when he`d got out of it, but definately a good story to tell the kids :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan