OT: How come no one has mentioned...

The Prius returning poorer fuel economy round the top gear track than the BMW M3...

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , John Rumm writes

Prolly because it's been (maybe not an M3) mentioned numerous times before

Reply to
geoff

were both cars driven economically? or raced by stig?

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

Been done many times. It's an old clip.

Remember Drivel has/had one and the sharp-sticking that got?

Reply to
EricP

The prius was driven flat out, the beemer was just keeping pace with it over 10 laps. Prius go 17mpg, and the 414 BHP V8 M3 got 19mpg

(The point of the piece (other than having a dig at the pointless prius) was that the way you drive matters more than anything else in many cases).

Reply to
John Rumm

This was new - last weekend:

Remember Drivel has/had one and the sharp-sticking that got?

;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , EricP writes

well, he SAID he had

personally I think he's getting confused with his old blue cripple wagon

Reply to
geoff

to the Ecobabble. :))

Reply to
EricP

I liked the point about all the nasty materials used to make its batteries (Nickel from Canada - shipped to Japan for the batteries, for example)

Ah well - we probably now have several massive container ships on the way from China delivering rubbish to fill up the Pound Shops with useless tat for Xmas.

Reply to
John

Good, wasn't it? Liked the driver of the Prius all flailing arms while the BMW was driven with one hand...

Of course dribble won't believe it. But it's exactly what I found with the one I borrowed - dreadful economy if you drive it hard - which you have to to keep up with traffic on the open road.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No it's not - it was first shown then.

I made the comparison of a Prius being driven normally over a suburban test route by Autocar producing poorer economy than a 320d BMW doing the same test - which of course is a much faster car, when needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So if it drives like crap and isn't more economic, why would anybody buy a Prius rather than the BMW?

I could understand renting one for novelty value just to see what it's like, but that's about it.

The presenter seemed to think that it was ecologically less sound than a Land Rover Discovery, so I can feel virtuous now.

Reply to
Andy Hall

They are economical in heavy town traffic. Lots of traffic jams where you don't have an engine idling wasting fuel. But then some newer BMWs etc stop the engine automatically under these conditions too...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

well it has to carry a payload that has no use in that arena..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Raced.

Its not stig, its The Stig, who has been several people, allegedly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Top Gear Stunt Man is one person (so far...)

Adrian C

It'll have to go some way to beat my Series III which, after 20 plus years on the road, ended up in Zambia chasing poachers around.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Reply to
Huge

Because its not a BMW. Why would anyone buy a BMW? They are poor cars, poor value for money and tend to be driven by morons. Opps.. just answered my own question there.

Reply to
dennis

You've obviously not owned one of the better ones. So you'll never know what you're missing. So much for blind prejudice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)