OT: How can having one tooth filled cost me £47

No it still would have cost £47 see

could have had the odd root canal treatment and a full scale and polish along with many other gory procedures to realy get value for his money :-)

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Yes, I find this cheeseparing attitude quite surprising, considering we only get one set of teeth. Once it's gone, it's gone. And £100 is nothing. You can pay that for a day out for two, these days.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I must be a genetic freak then, as I had two:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I'm one of the tightarse brigade right enough.

Reply to
brass monkey

> He could have had the odd root canal treatment and a full scale and polish

Reply to
brass monkey

Daft as it sounds, a mate of mine had a tooth fall out and he glued it back in with either superglue or araldite, can't remember which.

Reply to
brass monkey

don't just think that they do it for the money do you?

ARWadsworth

Well we all knew that anyway :-)

Reply to
Tim Streater

>>> He could have had the odd root canal treatment and a full scale and

It gets better, if anything else goes wrong, or part of the work failed up to 3 months later, fixing it is free as its covered by the £47 already paid. providing the work is covered in the £47 band.

And folk moan about our NHS!

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

"Only sick people complain about the NHS"

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The sense is that everyone needs to pay attention to their teeth, and ensure they can see properly. So the notion of "insurance" for that is pretty meaningless. Few people need expensive surgery.

And it's not free. It's expensive.

Reply to
Tim Streater

How long a spirit level?

Reply to
Tim Streater

My mother had all her teeth out in one go at the age of 34 (1948). My father (3 years older) followed soon after. It was quite common, but I wouldn't call it 'normal'!

Reply to
Bob Martin

Thank you for reminding me that my previous dentist took great delight in telling me about the new BMW motorbike to which he treated himself for his 50th birthday. I thought at the time I'd probably paid for it. Less than year later he retired to spend more time with his bike, series

7 BMW, and 2nd home in the Dordogne.

While I admire dentists for their manual dexterity, I feel much the same about plasterers and bricklayers - and of course professional electricians who seem to get their cables to fall into line by just glaring at them.

Reply to
Robin

I stopped going to my optician when he wouldn't stop talking about his Snap on Spanners, ihs saloon car racing and his bloody helicopter

Do tell which one, he sounds vastly more interesting than mine.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

It's the dental nurses that annoy me. The silly cow stabbed herself with the needle that they had used on me. I then had the dentist on the phone asking if I could go to occupational therapy to have some blood tests done.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Some years ago I saw a medical TV program, and one of the patients was a guy who araldited a repair to his tooth, and some years later got cancer in his gum/jaw, which was what he was being treated for on the program.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , Andrew Gabriel scribeth thus

So Araldite is carcinogenic then;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

I don't recall if it was exactly Araldite, but it was some sort of resin glue. I suspect the problem (if it was that, and you can never be 100% sure with cancers) would have been the unset resin or hardener, both of which can be rather nasty, some of which was almost certainly absorbed into the surrounding tissues before it set.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'm going to guess this is National Elf. Because a filling at any of the dentists around where I live is likely to cost £200+ and there isn't an NHS dentist taking on new customers within a radius of 20 miles.

I chucked in using the dentist closest to home because (a) he was absolutely rubbish, (b) he bullied his staff - openly in the presence of patients and (c) I got sick of hearing him waffle on about his multi-engine pilot's licence.

I now use a very competent Ozzie dentist miles away from where I live, but as a private patient. I hope I never need serious work done, because I've seen his scale of fees and I would need a mortgage to afford them. Even the checkups cost eye-watering amounts of cash.

Reply to
Steve Firth