OT homeplug phenomenon?

got 3 homeplugs on a home network -

when (for testing purposes) I plug a fourth in to a socket near where an existing homeplug is plugged in, one of the other distant homeplugs stops working properly (IP cam - no picture). But if I plug the fourth one into a socket further round the *same 240v circuit* as before- all is well.....???? any clues/thoughts please?

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Are any of the homeplugs in sockets that are spurs (or 4way extension leads) rather than directly on the ring? sounds like some sort of reflection issue ... after all the mains is acting as an unterminated bus.

Reply to
Andy Burns

mmm interesting.... the remote ip cam (that goes awol when the fourth homeplug is plugged in) is on a 4gang lead, another homeplug is in a 6gang lead on a desktop, and the router's homeplug is in another 4gang lead....

NB they don;t all go down - just appears to be the IP cam homeplug that fails?

Is that a "requirement" that they plug straight into a "direct circuit fed mains wall socket" ?? (for want of a better description!)

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Jim K :

AFAIK that's just a performance matter. I've never had a problem using extension leads.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Another possibility would be an AGC issue. The "close" transmitter causing the receiver to lower its gain, and hence it also becoming less less sensitive to the "far" homeplug.

Reply to
John Rumm

RF is magic, not science.

As anyone who has dealt with it intimately can tell you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Especially waveguide theory.......

Reply to
Vernon

Try RTFM.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

didn't have one YST ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Not a 'requirement', but I've always seen it described as 'recommended'.

mmm... nothing in devolos online manual ... you gotta link I can study?

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Same manufacturer? Which one?

Reply to
Devany

devolo

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

No link, but it's been in the instructions for the three different brands I've used over the past few years.

When I had a problem with four devolo homeplugs their tech support people asked me to plug them all into the same extension lead in order to sort out the problem. So the stern warnings in the manual don't appear to mean much to them.

Reply to
Steve Firth

ok... which brands/models were those so I can search?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

The only reason for it to be "recommended" is that some extension leads have corroded contacts in the socket because people use them in places where dirt and damp are common. Also each extra plug and socket in the chain result in attenuation of the signal causing performance issues. There's no black magic that causes a plug to mystically misbehave, run rogue and shut down other homeplugs if it's used on an extension.

TBH, I'd get all the plugs, put them on the same extension, jack the PC into one of them and flash them all to the current firmware release. Then assign a new shared secret to them all and that will eliminate firmware incompatibility or problems with passwords.

Reply to
Steve Firth

yeah done that - all on lastest firmware, all same make, all same pwds...issue remains :>(

CHeers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

As was mentioned a while back I suspect an AGC (Automatic Gain Control) problem, two close together can only "hear" themselves not the one further away that has a much lower signal due to losses in the wiring.

What happens if you bring them all to roughly the same distance from each other? If it's not an AGC problem, maybe one has a lower output, tried swapping units around to see if soem are better than others in the distant posistion. Might need to draw up a chart to keep track of which ones work best where in relation to the others and their location.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm completely flummoxed then. I've used the devolo blue lanplugs since they first appeared and I'm not using the 200AV white ones. I've never experienced what you describe - if it were reproducible irrespective of where you plugged them in I'd suspect a clash of plug ID, but since it varies according to where it is plugged in, I can't offer anything useful. One minor point, have you tried any other extension leads to see if it is jsut that lead causing the problem?

Reply to
Steve Firth