OT:Home router setup

got a TP Link WR841 recently, and am struggling to understand what the ordering of the access rules means ... I'm trying to set things up so a certain IP address is limited by time, and from accessing certain sites. I started by setting access control ON, and the default policy to BLOCK unmatched traffic. I then added the machines IP, and a rule for allowed times. I then added a rule for blocked sites. But it seems that when the block rule appears before the time rule, it's ignored. Putting the block rule first seems to work.

To complicate things further, there is one site (for remote monitoring) I want all machines to always have access to. I added such a rule, but it seems the time-limiting rule is taking precedence, regardless.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Reply to
Jethro

In article , Jethro scribeth thus

Yes.. If your doing that to keep the children off facebook they'll craftily find a way round the restrictions;!.

Mine did;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

DD-WRT is another 3rd party firmware for routers that has very large and multi-country user support base. Their firmware is freeware which makes the cost about right.

I find it nice to be able to tap into the large user base since the firmware is compatible with so many brands/models of hardware.

With so many people using it someone usually has already run into any problem that I see and are able to offer a "fix" in one of the forums.

The link to their main web site is:

can check out their community forums for free at:

GlowingBlueMist

Great suggestion; but he didn't ask about DD-WRT. He has a TP Link WR841 and wants to use that if possible.

Reply to
82045

I thought you meant a 'real' router....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Since Jethro asked "Anyone have any ideas ?" The answer I provided was merely an alternative method of gaining the information he needed.

I understood his problem just fine. But since he is presently limited to the store bought TP Link firmware in his box the knowledge base he has access to is basically limited to people who actually have that same model.

By using his present TP Link router hardware but upgrading it to a 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT or Open WRT he would gain access to a vastly larger knowledge base as the DD-WRT software is actively being used by people in multiple countries on more than 30 brands of routers and on many models per brand.

It agree that it would be great if someone here can actually provide a fix using his store bought router software but unfortunately the few people who actually bought that model and are using the original TP link software seem to be holding silent.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist