OT home networking

On my router, you can isolate the wireless LAN from the Ethernet LAN ("Disable traffic between LAN group 1 and LAN group 2"). The router only cost £40 so I assume it's not a specially rare feature. I don't know how well it works, though, I've never used it.

That said, Adrian's point is still correct, that if somebody breaks the WEP, they can freeload the Internet connection, which is bad enough to want to rule it out.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

true, for a router. I can't remember if he had a wireless router ar a wireless access point; I have the latter, so there's no way it can be isolated from the Ethernet! Guess I could put it outside the firewall, but then I'd need two...

And I'm not buying a wireless router. I only bought a new (wired) router a couple of weeks ago, in preparation for ADSL2+ in a few weeks...

Reply to
Bob Eager

It only takes a short time to crack WPA2 too.

Reply to
dennis

In most cases wouldn't the computers on the domestic local network have their own firewall, etc?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, they have a piece of software that calls itself that. But it can be compromised.

And there's the point already made - someone freeloading on the connection...possibly doing illegal stuff.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , "dennis@home" writes

How much insulation, dennis ?

Reply to
geoff

In message , "dennis@home" writes

No it doesn't as long as you use a secure enough passphrase.

Those examples on the web that I have seen of cracking WPA have all relied on a week passphrase that is easy to guess/crack

Reply to
chris French

No point in arguing with dennis. He is always at his rightest when he is completely wrong.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its one of those "speed bumps" rather than a true block. Most WiFi devices (and wired ones for that matter) allow you to reprogram their MAC address. So circumventing the block is easy enough generally.

The one person that it does tend to bite IME is you! (the times I have been cursing at the inability to establish a wireless connection when all the settings seem to be right - only to find I have enabled MAC filtering years ago and forgot!)

Reply to
John Rumm

I have got my Wii on my WPA protected WLAN...

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , chris French writes

Ssh ...

it's dennis - humour him

Reply to
geoff

Sorry, that's what I meant. The Wiis and the PSPs live on the WPA protected LAN, so I'd need a separate AP if I added the DS.

Reply to
Bob Eager

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Not a very good one. And the SMB ports are almost certainly open.

Reply to
Adrian

Doesn't the DS have Bluetooth to connect to the Wii? That makes all these security issues, sort of, irrelevant.

Reply to
dennis

That solves one of the known security problems, or at least makes it more difficult and may mean it takes a few days rather than hours. If you use that Russian software and a couple of hundred Nvidia gpus you can go through thousands of passwords a second.

Then there ids the other packet injection problem where you may be able to inject arp packets and redirect the user to a bad site, This is the worst as it shows that the encryption can be decrypted, it may only be a short time before the key can be recovered.

Reply to
dennis

Who mentioned the requirement for the DS to connect to the Wii?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Are you saying the one supplied with an average domestic 'router' is better?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Than Windows firewall? No question about it.

Reply to
Adrian

Depends on the router. But at least it's in a separate box and cannot be compromised so easily...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Try looking for an old wireless router that isn't suitable for use with ADSL2+. I've just done the same as you, but in my case it was to prove there wasn't a fault due to "my" equipment... I've replaced my main router with one the could support the new standards which left my old ZyXEL P660HW-61 that is now used as a wireless access point with the added benefits of its inbuilt router limiting access to a subset of the LAN (e.g. the WAN router only) from the Wireless connections. Better would be to get one with an Ethernet input on the WAN side, as used in cable DSL applications, rather than one like mine, where the ultimate WAN connection is routed via one of the LAN ethernet connections.

Reply to
John Weston