High powered kettles & vacuum cleaners plan to ban them in EU stalls

I can give you a perfect example of ridiculous EU legislation from the '90s - The Machineries Directive. There was one overall directive, but then a number of specific ones that took precedance for certain areas.

I used to work for a company making industrial compressors and there was a specific directive for compressors. Unfortunately, they wrote it around roadworks compressors, not fixed installations. One requirement was for all openable or removeable panels to be fitted with switches, so that accessing them would shut it down - intended to stop roadworkers sticking their hands in. However, we provided large, fixed units (up to

24MW drives) with dozens of panels (often inch or more thick steel), all bolted in place with dozens of bolts each - some of these were on 1" or 1-1/2" studs and not something anywould would just open. These units were for use in refineries, chemical plants and on oil rigs, where only trained maintainers would have access and even then only by work permit and with planned work procedures, full isolations, etc. Such switches were irrelevant and difficult to add due to the cabling passing through various airtight compartments.

Eventually, we got Brussels to see sense (sort of) and we received a formal letter saying that we need not fit these switches - not because they were irrelevant, but because as we did not supply and install the Motor Control Centres, our units could not be run as they left the factory and therefore our 100-odd ton, mechanical devices, with electric or turbine drives, plus full control system (my part) were "not machines."

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

That was my first thought, too. Last time I switched, I looked at usage figures over the previous ten years, and although costs vary, of course, the actual usage didn't. Well, not by enough to make a difference.

Reply to
News

Now that the kitchen lighting here is less than 30W instead of 280W I'm less inclined to worry about it. But it'd have to be on 7 x 24 or more to be consuming what it did before.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Wouldn't it be better only to boil the amount of water you actually need?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I've just got an automatic coffee maker. I don't use it all the time, but I pointed out to SWMBO that it only heats what it needs (and that not wuite to boiling). It must be saving money! :)

Reply to
Bob Eager

That mirrors our experience with most of the charity shops round here (and there are a few) except one who seems to be willing to take most things.

That said, it also seems to depend on the interests of the people in the place, as one place initially rejected a kids bike then another member of staff took it in. I thought it was going to be 'done up' but I saw it up for sale pretty well as we gave it to them for £29 and it was gone a couple of days later.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ok.

I'm guessing people would like to know what the payback period was and if they did they probably wouldn't bother.

As their 'main' car, yes.

Unless you happen to have a charging point at work, like I did. ;-)

Yup.

The wall was rendered with what was supposed to be a 'thermal render' (as it needed rendering at the time) but I have no idea how effective it is.

I may do something ... when I get roundtuit. ;-)

I lined our box room with that fibreboard (that you see on notice boards) and that seems to have helped a bit.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ok thanks, and not too expensive compared with most other branded 3K jobbies.

That would be handy down Mums static caravan. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's an interesting concept. Most change to LED because it's the fashion - or to save on running costs. Then leave them on for longer than needed. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have a pal who comes from a pretty poor background. Lots of stories about his childhood. Yet always fills a kettle to the brim. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, you just said so?

I don't claim any specific value and for the reasons you yourself just stated (for one).

I have (water splashing out from the bubbles).

This seem to be that way:

But 'some' and at no real disadvantage anywhere else.

?

In the short term. If every time you re-boil it saves 75% over alternatives than that's potentially a saving every time.

Given what you can pay for an 'ordinary' kettle I don't think some of them are *that* expensive?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Quite.

That might work. Considering how short a time a kettle of that power would be on I doubt most connections / cables would have chance to 'overheat'.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If it wasn't being stored 'hot' to make the next boiling much quicker then the answer has to be 'yes'.

However, we have already read here how some 'without' always fill the kettle to the brim for only one cup and I would think 'most' overfill their kettles by some amount (I know we do).

I wonder if there are people who fill the cup to the desired level and only then tip that into the kettle for boiling? Maybe they live on their own?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , T i m writes

Ummm... Thinking about this concept of remote control linked to available generating capacity... not totally beyond the wit of engineers to monitor the 50Hz supply frequency and use that information to permit additional load.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

But a 13 amp plug and fuse will already cope with a short term overload. You'd need to define 'short term' though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We had a pretty awful experience in November. We were cleraring my M-I- L's house (she has come to live with us as she is 95 years old and frail). She lived about 120 miles away in Sudbury, Suffolk. SWMBO was temporarily out of a job so she wanted to get it all done by the end of November (and she'd given notice to the council as it was their house).

She had a lot of trouble getting a charity to do a house clearance, and this was exacerbated by not being able to be there all the time. The British Heart Foundation agreed in the end, and wanted £250 to do a 'complete clearance'. So, a week before the deadline, SWMBO went up there to disconnect the gas cooker etc. Clearance booked for the Tuesday, and no-one could be there for that so a neighbour held the key. BHF turned up and refused to take half the stuff as "it isn't on our list". SWMBO eventually got a message about this and they said they would take everything but it was too late to do it that day as the van was miles away. They agreed to come back later in the week, but still didn't take everything (including the carpets). SWMBO so so angry she was inchoerent, so son (19 years old) had them on the phone for an hour before they agreed to come back on the last possible day at 7 a.m. to clear it all. For this they wanted £180 up front. He paid and it is being pursued for a refund now! They did clear it all - just in time to hand the keys back.

Not very happy with BHF or their contractors...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Electric showers are 100% efficient as are all electric heating devices. It's what happens to the water afterwars that is the issue.

Reply to
harry

A hot water "jug" is more energy saving than a kettle. You can boil a cup of water in seconds.

Reply to
harry

= 6.5 million hours a day = 2.4 billion hours a year. At [guess] £12.

50/hr that's £30 billion every single year. There are other points to fac tor in as well.

SO is it better to have a 1KW kettle and a 1Kw toaster on at the same time or better for a 3KW ketkle to switch off before the toaster comes on.

I'd say another 10MW.

Well yes but that's not how demand works, which is what the customer wants.

reases total cost, not reduces it.

I'm not sure that's true as you can't really equate the two that easily. if it were true then factories and teh likke would go over to E7 tarifs and save a fortune. I was going to say do teh majoroty of steel workers want to star at 11:30pm and finish at 6:30am, but I'm not sure if we have any left.

of course the more economicaly route would be to get rid of all industries that use large amounts of energy like manufacturing and employ eveyone in offices twiddling their thumbs waiting for the 1KW kettle to boil.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The time it takes to boil a full kettle of water (with that much power)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m