OT: Help with identifying flags

I know this is totally off topic for the group but as a lot of people stop by here I wondered if anyone can help me identify 2 flags that my neighbour has recently started flying. I am interested in which organisations use these flags as I cannot find any reference to them on the Internet.

The first is a St Georges flag (Red cross on a white background) but with a clenched fist in the centre, also in red.

The second is again a St Georges flag but this time with a pair of hands clasped in a handshake at the centre.

Any help appreciated.

Reply to
James Noble

The first one sounds like a protestant Northern Ireland flag (the red hand of King O'Neil)

Reply to
Howard Neil

It seems that is neither a clenched fist, nor is it on a white ground:-

Howard Neil

why not simply ask ... I would if my neighbor did this

Reply to
Rick Hughes

In message , Rick Hughes writes

Because the neighbour is unapproachable. Doesn't even respond to a good morning and is in dispute with another neighbour over loud music.

Reply to
James Noble

Move house. Now.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

1922 committee

I think Dave is right. You don't really need to know _exactly_ what they are, it's not going to be anything good. Get them to move across the road from Adam, at least then we'll have videos.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

What he said. No wonder the neighbour is unco-operative...

OP, are you joined to this neighbour? Only, when his house gets burned down, will it burn your house, too?

Reply to
Huge

This site is probably one of the best to find a flag though it is so large it can take a while to go through it.

posters have mentioned Ulster but that is a flat red hand not a fist. Other countries not associated with the UK or Great Britian also use the flag of St George and variations to an extent as well. Would look a bit harder but the missus is demanding to go out.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

might be an Ulster flag..

The red hand of Ulster is notorious..but is not normally a clenched fist.

Can find no references to a hand clasp on a flag.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do you have an Android phone. If so Google Goggles might help.

Failing that take a photo and upload to the new Google Images. See if it can find any match.

Reply to
Andrew May

There is one offered on ebay, described as EDL, though this is not what the EDL (spit) web site shows.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Hang a St. George's g***se flag in retaliation? :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I've googled the whole net, and thse falgs as described are not to be found.

BNP tends to use union jack, and the EDL official flag is somewhat different.

It might be some new English Brotherhood type bollocks.. but pictures would be very useful.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

clasped hands is/may be a masonic symbol..but again, not part of the masonic flag.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

i always thought the clenched fist was a symbol of communism, red front, workers unite in the peasants state and all that?

maybe he's part of a british commie movement?

either way, isnt it illegal to fly any flag other than the union flag or the georges cross without planning permision or some such bollox, i remember a bloke flying a jolly roger for a kids pirate themed birthday party, he got a snotty letter a few days after telling him to remove it from the council as he was breaking a few 'laws' he had taken it down by the time the letter arrived, but put it back up on recieving the letter to see what would happen, cant remember what did happen tho.

Reply to
Gazz

Planning permission is needed for the pole, if it is a prominent position (a small pole in the back garden would probably be exempt). Two poles would not normally be allowed.

Once you have the pole, it can be used to fly any national flag (including the EU flag) without needing further planning permission.

The primary intention is to prevent unauthorised advertising, so what constitutes a national flag is usually interpreted quite loosely and may include regional flags. It would not usually include the flag of an organisation, which would require separate planning permission. OTOH, a national flag that might count as advertising can be banned, as one Italian restaurant discovered.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Have a word with your neighbourhood constable - he might know something about the neighbour.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I was there too:

come we didn't see each other?

Reply to
mike

Because google doesn't do anywhere near the whole net?

Reply to
dennis