OT? Help with detering cats

How can I deter the local cats from using my garden as a toilet? I've bought pepper, proprietary repellents and even tried putting the hose on them but they keep coming back. In the hot weather the smell was awful! Short of buying an airgun I'm out of ideas. Any help appreciated!

Adam

Reply to
Adam

Neil

Get yourself a cat. That'll sort the others out AND provide you with hours of entertainment!

Reply to
The Admiral

Only useful if the OP can access this group - many ISPs don't carry the free.uk.* hierarchy.

Airgun = Really Bad Idea

Are the cats "owned" (i.e., do the cats permit humans to share a house with them)?. If so, try talking to the cats' humans - if the cats are habitually using your garden as a toilet its possible that their humans aren't providing a litter tray for them (which they should).

If the cats are feral, try contacting your local Cats' Protection League - they should be able to arrange to catch the cats, have them neutered, and find homes for them.

HTH Julian

Reply to
Julian Fowler

Sorry. Didn't realise. I'll try to not do it again.

Reply to
Neil

Filling the balloon might work well too.

Reply to
John Armstrong

Difficult to avoid eyes/ears when it isn't very accurate. A super soaker type water pistol would be safer and probably as/more effective and much cheaper.

Reply to
John Armstrong

Have you tried ground coffee?

Reply to
Martin

Or a Black Widow slingshot ;-))

Tony

Reply to
Tony Hayes

Reply to
Mindwipe

A good waterpistol, or a hosepipe with the gun-like thing on the end so it will throw the water well. Once they think they may get an unexpected soaking, they'll be more cautious. Davey

Reply to
Davey

We found a small water pistol kept near the door of the kitchen was useful to 'train' [1] the cats not to come into the kitchen; after a while we didn't even have to fill it!

[1] OK, it may well be that the cats actually trained us to pick up a water pistol...
Reply to
Bob Eager

You can get them up to 72" diameter!

Reply to
James Salisbury

The words "with water" were supposed to go in that sentence.

Reply to
John Armstrong

John Armstrong wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I only shoot at rear quarters; as for water, I find they can anticipate the trajectory and dodge easily, and have a good laugh - my only score was when I guessed the direction he'd go, and aimed off about 2 - 3 yards, the b***r ran right into it.

Nuff to make my cat laugh

m r

Reply to
Mike Ring

Indeed....!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Chicken manure pellets such as 'rooster booster' work in my garden. I have two cats that love to toilet in the newly dug flower beds - spread a few of the above pellets about and it certainly deters them. One problem with these - is the stink for a couple of days after - but once this is gone the deterrent effect still works

Bri

Reply to
Devil's Advocate

I've heard of Jeyes fluid recommended here a while ago. Failing that, a paintball gun with a laser sight.

MJ

Reply to
MJ

Try searching "trebuchet" on google - construct as required.

I want to find plans/details of the "spring guns" as allowed in the laws of this land with a view to a "non fatal" adaptation - I understand the wording allows for the setting of "spring guns" and "man traps" after sundown by a property owner as a legitimate deterrent to any (but not specified) intruder. I can't currently be sure which type they meant in that wording as there are a fair few types and they do vary rather a lot on the odd time when I've seen anything on them - not looked in quite a while actually, so I may go have a browse to see it things are any clearer now!

Failing this, there' always the old "drainpipe" wheeze, sure sorts the problem, but not all that nice, certainly not for the cat anyway!

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

If they come into the garden via the same route, a cardboard cutout of a prowling cat with marbles for eyes (this detail important!) will deter them. They also don't like the smell of citrus fruit, so a good sprinkle of Citronella oil (local health food shop) will put 'em off. Stops them shredding bin bags too!

Reply to
impvan