OT - Help! Minor repairs to home needed

Posting this to a DIY group is a little odd I know, but...

I have a flat in North London that was in need of some renovation (a new kitchen, some bathroom work, etc). The builder we got to do it fitted the kitchen, but bodged the rest and ran off leaving the place a wreak. Small claims court sorted us out eventually, but now we need to get the damage repaired.

We are now having a hell of a time getting anyone interested in doing it. The list of work is small, bitty stuff: complete the tiled floor, repair or re-skim patches of plastering, wire in some lights, fit some skirting boards... about 15 items of that nature. It does not include decoration or surface preparation though.

So - does anyone know of anyone who might consider this work and do it to a reasonable standard? We're willing to pay decent cash for a clearly defined and agreed couple of days work with no hidden complications or meddling from us. I can also supply all materials, tea, cakes, entertainment or other request as needed.

Given our past experience though, we will have to ask for at least two references to check, because if it goes wrong this time - we're stuffed.

Thanks for listening.

Reply to
BlueJohn

We have our own resident handyman.

Moreover, from a survey I just completed for B&Q, it appears that they are thinking of offering a handyman service - i.e. you go into the store and book one against a set of hourly rates.

Reply to
Andy Hall

They had what I think now was a trial run of this out of their Wandsworth branch. Rates were high - IIRC 70 quid an hour. And the 'handymen' drove round in brand new Minis...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We do indeed, alas nowhere near N London! I do a lot of work like this - making good after errant tradesmen.

Interesting. I'll keep an eye on that.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks for the B&Q tip - I'll see if I can find out more on that.

I've also just been talking to somebody else who is in a similar position - seems there are quite a few of us in limbo: not enough work to attract a normal builder, and not enough DIY skills to do it ourselves.

Reply to
BlueJohn

Exactly the niche that pays my mortgage.

"For all those little jobs that need to be done".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Given the range of jobs you want done I'd say you have *no* DIY skills. Just about all the ones mentioned require easily acquired skills - apart from plastering. Although you would need to purchase the required tools for some of them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

searching uk.d-i-y will explain how to do a lot. Asking will reveal more. Theres also

meow2222

I don't remember what the proposed rates were, but the structure was about th same as yours - i.e. front end loaded.

You could probably get the survey by accessing B&Q's site. There is a survey on what people think of that which pops up. I did that one and was then invited by mail to do the handyman one.

It does of course raise all sorts of questions

- who takes responsibility for the work?

- what's B&Q's margin?

Depending on how you view it, it could be competition or could be an opportunity.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think that TMH should franchise his service...

Reply to
Andy Hall

Franchise time......

Reply to
Andy Hall

=================================== It might be worth considering some kind of 'co-operative' if there are several of you in the same boat. Surely, you can't all be totally devoid of all the necessary skills for quite minor works.

Of course, the really hard bit is making a proper cup of tea since it requires an exiting Prime Minister to do that.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

There is plenty of work about ... both making good after others, but also simply taking on the small jobs that others can't be bothered with. I think one of the strengths of the various handyman services is that they provide a one-stop shop - someone will turn up, reseal your shower, stop the tap drippng, change a light fitting and fit a new lock, all in one visit. Plumbers, sparkies, chippies don't generally offer this flexibility.

There are quite a few such companies around now, especially in London (disclaimer: I now work for one of them) and I'd be inclined to think that if the OP doesn't want to take on at least some of the tasks himself then they're probably the best solution.

My understanding of the B&Q service is that has been trialled from Wandsworth and another store: Google and the Kingfisher annual report say that they're planning to extend it to 25 stores in the near future.

I *think* that it may have been fixed, task-based pricing rather than time-based, but I'm not sure.

John

Reply to
john.sabine

Many simply don't want to make the time for DIY works over an above their own job. Or can't be bothered. Which is fair enough - provided they are happy to pay a decent rate for those who will do the work for them.

But what often worries me is that such types often say 'it's a simple job which will only take an hour or so' which suggests they don't expect to pay a true rate.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Already been done, eg:

etc

David

Reply to
Lobster

Time, right tools, knowledge, confidence. Lots of reasons.

Whenever I hear that phrase it sends warning signals.....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Perhaps, but a) I don't want to bodge it, b) I don't have the time to do it, even if I did know how. I realise that I could take a holiday for it, but frankly, I'd rather spend that time having sex.

Reply to
BlueJohn

Surely any potential franchisee seeing what he does would go amd copy it without getting involved in the franchise. What Mr Medway has is primarily job skill, applicants without it would be a lot of work, and those with it can do it themselves anyway. To put it another way, why do franchisees do it?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I think they only would do so if they haven't got enough work on, or because maybe they could charge more as a franchise member?

You need to imagine Joe Public thumbing through the Yellow Pages looking for a handyman. He sees lots of entries for individuals offering their services, then he sees a big advert for an apparently large national outfit. Who's he going to choose - some bloke he's never heard of, or a 'safe' 'reliable' big company (although they will charge a load more dosh)?

It's the same phenomenon which means that British Gas still install vast numbers of boilers despite their stupid prices; the single-handed CORGI who fitted me a boiler recently at a reasonable price also does contract work for BG, and he reckons they've virtually got our town sewn up. Bizarre, I know.

David

Reply to
Lobster

================================== All very true. Unfortunately, it's often a case of, 'My time is valuable, you've got time on your hands'.

If the OP and his fellow sufferers got together they might find it less demanding than they think and not too expensive if they shared the cost of tools, possibly by hiring. Almost any tool can be hired at reasonable cost.

Reply to
Cicero