[OT] Hatton Garden arrests

Depends how much they lost against what they saved. If the insurance is (say) £1,000,000 a year, and they lost £500,000 then they are still quids in.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

:)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Everyone is overlooking another (quite likely I would have thought) possibility:

Stuff was insured *on condition* it was stored in the vault when not needed and/or overnight/weekends/etc.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Adam Aglionby scribbled

Did he buy it using his B&Q OAP discount?

There are huge profits to be made out of jewellery. Try selling something for more than 20% of what it cost.

Reply to
Jonno

Tim Watts scribbled

Given the history of that particular vault, I'm surprised the insurance companies (or customers) would touch it with a bargepole.

Reply to
Jonno

Bob Eager scribbled

Or ran a business. The Krays made their money from protecting people from themselves.

Reply to
Jonno

That's interesting regarding the safety aspect do they put more or less chemicals in them than they used to, as I've heard that the tobacco isn't the only dangerous thing in cigs it's the extra chemicals they add to keep the addiction.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I seem to remmeber a film/book 'plot' or perhaps based on real world where a husband had sold all his wife's jewlery replacing it with fake/paste stuf f and storing it in such a vault. Wonder what happens about insurance then. I guess it depends on whether the insurance company were told or not.

Reply to
whisky-dave

GB

I seem to remmeber a film/book 'plot' or perhaps based on real world where a husband had sold all his wife's jewlery replacing it with fake/paste stuff and storing it in such a vault. Wonder what happens about insurance then. I guess it depends on whether the insurance company were told or not.

Was the husband called Phillip and the wife called Liz?

Reply to
ARW

Lovely people. Only every killed their own... etc..

Reply to
Tim Watts

I find the whole story completely unbelievable.

To start with, would anyone in their right mind keep hundreds of millions of pounds worth of diamonds and rely on an alarm in a police station for security? Not even a camera on the ceiling? Not even a motion sensor in the building? No computer connection to the manager of the site?

The whole thing stinks of an inside job.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy