OT: Halogen hob query

I do apologise if this is OT, but there is such alot of expertise here that it such a pleasure to read.....

We have purchased a new cooker which has a halogen hob. The instructions say that saucepans must have flat bases (naturally :-) and that they should be of stainless steel. However, it goes on to say that saucepans with cast-iron bases much not be used. Since my wife has some expensive Colourcast and Le Creuset casserole pots, we are a bit miffed that these cannot be used on the hob.

I have tried to get an explanation from the manufacturer's, but they will not do or say anything which will involve someone sticking their neck out. So can anyone suggest a reason for the ban?

Reply to
Marcus Foreman

I think you will find it is to do with scratching the glass surface of the hob. This is what we were told and we were also told it was OK, provided you didn't slide the cast iron pans across the hob.

We use Le Creuset (and other cast iron cookware) on our halogen hob and have never noticed any difference in cooking (beyond the normal "lag" in cast iron getting hot).

Reply to
Brian Reay

Yes, I believe it's just to cover themselves. There is an increased danger of scratching the glass and a corresponding increase in the risk of breaking it by clonking heavy cast iron things on it. If they didn't tell you not to do it then customers could claim against them saying they hadn't been warned not to use cast iron (IYSWIM). Basically it's your risk, not theirs!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I believe it is simply because glass halogen hobs are so very easy to break :(

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

On or around Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:49:00 +0100, Marcus Foreman mused:

Not that it answers your question directly, but my mate (an appliance engineer) has a halogen hob (Zanussi) and a wife (chef) who likes Le Creuset cookwares (and anything else expensive) and they haven't had any problems with the combination of the 2 in constant use over the last several years (Le Creuset and halogen hob that is, the expensive tastes and my mate are a different matter)!

Reply to
Lurch