OT: Grand Designs Live - Why?

Original Grand Designs, interesting show, some nice ideas, Kev's a bit of a berk but has made the programme his own and it works well.

Enter Grand Designs Live, bolting together a factory prefab while a mass studio audience cheer pointlessly at recorded clips and fools spend money to vote for 'the best'.

Given the timescale of real building or refurb is this really the subject matter that needs the urgency of a LIVE programme?

Reply to
fred

Get more interest in buying tickets?

Reply to
Mogga

It focuses the minds of the masses that eco houses are not pie in the sky and affordable and here and can be built quick. So why do we buy cheap crappy developer homes with flimsy bedroom walls that costs a fortune to buy and heat.

And it shows that people are really interested in homes and eco homes too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I was tired enough to partially see that programme. How vacuous! Made for the idiots that gape at soaps, cooking "challenges" and "Reality" TV. Time we got the buggers back to work rather than let their little grey cells evaporate!

Reply to
Clot

Indeed. I'm a huge fan of Grand Design - although think they repeat it far too often. Think it must run into double figures. But 'Live' was simply a self indulgent waste of time - the first one put me off bothering with the rest.

I watch Grand Designs to be fascinated, annoyed, learn things - and dream.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) wrote in

I was really looking forward to a time-compressed demonstration of the building of an ecologically sound, attractive modern house. I confess to quite liking Kevin Mc but he's got some way to make up now.

Reply to
PeterMcC

A proper technical programme with a serious architect presenter has been taken over by the fluffy cushion brigade.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Kevin Mc is not an architect.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Sorry. A graduate of history of art and architecture from Cambridge University, with an Honorary Fellowship of the Royal Institute of British Architects.

My point still stands though. From this:

"He has designed lighting for some of the finest buildings in Europe and many great houses ? Ely Cathedral, Edinburgh Castle, two European palaces, the Savoy and Dorchester hotels, to name a few."

to this:

"He's currently working on home products for Fired Earth and ranges of tableware, lighting and other homeware items for Debenhams."

Owain

So not an architect.

I wouldn't take my car to a honorary mechanic. Still not an architect.

Still not an architect.

Find out what architects do.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel