OT: Google Groups Posting email address

There are times when I do not have direct access to usenet and so post via Google Groups (I know). I have always used a hotmail address for this on the grounds that I seldom check it so don't really care if it gets filled with spam.

However on my most recent post I notice that google have used my gmail address (aaargh!). Does anyone know how to change this back to my hotmail address? If I 'subscribe' I only get the choice of gmail or my primary backup address and I don't want to compromise either of them.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

If you are logged into Google using your Hotmail account it will post using that account.

If you are logged into Gmail then it will post using your Gmail identity.

They're two separate Google accounts. It picks this up from a cookie on your computer. I don't *think* it links the two email addresses into one account.

If your browser has a 'private' mode use your Gmail in a 'private' window, this will prevent the Googlegroups window picking up the Gmail identity.

I do this (and have had one or two near-misses)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Odd. When I try to sign in - even in a private window - it seems to expect me to sign into google. "One Google Account for everything Google". it refuses to recognise my hotmail address.

Reply to
Andrew May

You can have more than one google account. Google accounts are identified (AFAIK) by an email address. Have you created a google account using your hotmail address? You can't login as any old email address unless it has a google account created for it. (Not sure if the google identifier _has_ to be a valid email address, but mine are.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

  1. Sign in with your gmail account.
  2. Visit groups.google.com. In the top right-hand corner your email address will be displayed (and a photo if you have one).
  3. Next to that will be a drop-down arrow. Click it.
  4. Choose "add a new account"
  5. Try logging in with your hotmail address + password.
  6. If this doesn't work, create a new google account based on your hotmail address.
Reply to
Martin Bonner