OT: Good place to ask about XP memory problems

true, I have chosen to ignore it. It doesn't actually show that C is portable, just that you can write code to make it portable. It doesn't help that the native data types are not portable as in they are not defined and can be different depending on the machine the compiler is aimed at.

Reply to
dennis

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Yes, I can see that you enjoy that underachieving window licking dull life of yours

The life and times of a telephone tester ...

No dennis, really, its not. I've done the working for someone else bit

Its just that you don't know any different. If you'd ever achieved anything in your life, you'd know different

f*ck, but you're a sad wanker

Reply to
geoff

What the *f*ck* does that mean.

Now I see why everyone else here thinks you are a yo-yo.

I'll leave you to your delusions now.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You jest, sire. Every micro instruction set is nastier than IBM 360

Reply to
Bob Martin

So that's what you aspire to be. Well don't let me stop you. I have never tested a telephone in my life and wouldn't know how to. Not that I couldn't find out in a day or so.

8<

Tell you what geof, you run your life without using anything I have worked on/contributed to and see how far you get.

Reply to
dennis

Unlikely. In 1968 I was introduced to the IBM 360 instruction set and concluded it was s**te. Since then I've been exposed to many more instruction sets of various machines. 360 is definitely right up there with the worst.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Shush, he will never take his meds now..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

the language is. hardware specific code never is whatever the language

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Natsemi. They were reasonably nice chips and a few vendors did adopt them (e.g. Whitechapel, Sequent, Tektronix), but IIRC their interrupt handling was pretty poor so they weren't *that* good for general-purpose use, even though instruction execution rate and bus width was very good.

TMS9900 maybe? Sounds familiar anyway - I used to have some early '80s OCR equipment which used one.

Well, that's the way it should be, surely? Tailored to the specific hardware, not set in stone at a certain amount.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I just realised why you have a spill-proof keyboard.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

your '1' key appears to be broken.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

In article , Jules Richardson writes

Subtle. :-)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Jules Richardson writes

s/spill/drool/

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , The Natural Philosopher writes

Slightly related:

Windows, (n): 32-bit extension and graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Huge writes

Pretty sure they had the 8086, but a popular upgrade was the NEC V20, which had some of the 80186 instructions.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , The Natural Philosopher writes

Then Intel brought out the crippled 386sx (= a 286 in drag).

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Glad to see you finally agree that C code can be portable.

Any code, in any language, might not be protable if written by an idiot.

You use the data types that are well defined to be portable.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

irg$qvd$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

It sounds like youo are trying to overlay C structurs onto physical hardware.

only a complete f**kwit does that if they want the code to be portable.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Oh, that's hysterical. dennis posts 2 lines of code and one of them's got a bug in it.

Reply to
Huge

Oddly enough I've avoided IBM mainframes.

Though now you make me think back that far, the System25 was pretty odd. 1900 and 2900 much better than the Intel, as are PPC 6800 6809 68k and that weird TI graphics processor that has bit-specific addressing and I can't remember the number of. Vague feeling that 8051 wasn't too good.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ